3. Ash

4.27.19

***

Sure, sitting alone in class on any other day would be boring as hell, but I had a new person to torture. This boy, Alex, he had said his name was, really rubbed me the wrong way for a reason that was foreign to me. It was almost like I was geared to hate his guts. Despite my chilly introduction, the kid continued trying to talk to me over and over again, and it was definitely starting to push my buttons. He must be trying to annoy me or something; I wouldn't put it past him.

After the fifth ignored conversation, I couldn't handle listening to him mouth off anymore, and I my patience flew out of the window. "Could you please just shut up!" I exclaimed loudly, causing the boy to jump. I finally got sweet silence off of the boy, and I was able to pay attention to school. I need to focus and get good grades so I have a slither of a chance for the future. I like to say I'm smart, but my teachers have to disagree. At least I'm trying, unlike airhead next to me staring at the ceiling.

Eventually, the school bell rang, signaling that everyone needed to go to their next class. The shrill sound made me flinch in my seat like every day, yet boy sitting next to me also cringed which confused me quite a bit. "What the hell was that?" the freak muttered to himself barely loud enough for me hear over the chatter of the class putting together their things.

Instead of doing the "polite" thing and telling the idiot the answer to his question, I pulled all of my supplies into an unorganized pile before slinking out of the room. I sighed after going through my daily schedule in my head when I realized that gym was next on my daily schedule. I hate PE more than I hate the new kid– which is a lot. They make us run around in circles for an hour and a half then think it was supposed to be fun. It might be for the dastardly jocks, but I could hardly cope with the stupid repetition. The teacher assumes that I love his class because I'm very good at it, but it's the total opposite. As if that isn't enough, every time I try to just get it done, I have eyes all over me looking at my body. 

My feet turned into the locker room, and the overwhelming scent of Axe Body Spray and week old jock straps washed through my nostrils. I would like to say that this isn't normal, but who am I kidding. Most boys are gross. The putrid scent is the only reason I ever wanted to leave this locker room since what follows is always boredom out of my mind. However, my nose hairs may be burning into a crisp from this stench. That and I don't want to be looking at naked boys, engaging in smoking weed in the bathroom, making fun of the obese kids, or have to deal with the horrible loudness of those around me. Therefore, while this cesspool keeps me from the cruelties of exercise, I found myself rushing to get my gym clothes on and get out of here. In my haste, I opened the door too quickly and ran into someone else's chest. Okay world, I know that I'm short, but why do you have to do this to me!? Instead of dwelling upon the past of my mistake, I shoved the other person away from me quickly. These people need to learn that if the door is opening, you step out of the way!

"Oi jackass, watch it!" a voice that I knew all too well spoke from behind me. I whipped my head around so hard that the resounding crack could be heard throughout the room. No, I didn't break my neck; at least I don't think so. The cocky male was looking down on me judging me, and my ears had started to turn red. No one– and I mean no one– is allowed to look at me as if I'm nothing. I may be smaller than average, but that doesn't mean that I don't pack a decent punch. A punch that I would really like to direct straight into his nose.

"Why don't you freak," I snarled. Much more tame than what could have happened, I'll give myself credit. 

"You ran into me! How am I supposed to watch it!?"

"I opened a door! Obviously that means someone is coming out!"

"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought there was a ghost opening to door because you're so far below my eyes!"

Crack

The boys emerald eyes stretched open wide, and I smirked at the red hand print already forming upon his pretty little face. His mouth hung open in shock, and I took that victory when I turned to leave. There's no point to continuing a fight I've already won. I walked out to my designated spot in the gym, and the overly peppy gym teacher kept trying to get everyone around us hyped up for the boredom of our lives. It was only when he mentioned the monthly races that my ears tuned in. Usually I wouldn't care, but today I have a new set of knowledge. Every time we do this with a new kid, he makes them go against me, which means that I get to have fun taking this boy's ego down a few pegs. 

"So up first we have our unbeatable Ashton, with an average speed of 45 seconds, and the new kid!" The teacher looked between our two energies as if he could sense the pair he had just made already contained tension. He probably wouldn't know how deep it ran, but he could take a pretty good guess based on the glare we shared while he counted down from five.

'I'll show him.'

The whistle blew.

We launched ourselves off of the platform at the exact same time, and it was as if I fire had been lit behind both of our rears. I don't think it's possible for any mortal to run faster than me, so I was shocked to see him pull slightly ahead of my position. Then again, he does have long legs. Maybe that's helping him. However, no matter how fast I felt like I was running, I could never catch up to him. He was always one step ahead of me with his nimble body that was almost perfectly designed for speed and agility. Therefore I wasn't shocked when he crossed the finish line a few seconds before I did.

"Congratulations, Alex, you're the first person this year to outrun Ashton!" My anger only grew when the class began to clap for him, and he gave me a smirk as if to say he had won this time. Mark my words, kid, I'll get you back.

"Alright class, next up is..." I allowed my anger to black out my mind when the teacher continued to run his precious races, and my eyes drifted over to the boy. He was making conversation with a few other people, and I realized that he was already becoming popular after only a few days. It's probably because they're all cocky assholes just like him.

"Alright, class, it's time to go dress out. The bell should ring in about ten minutes." Just you wait new kid... You'll regret the day you were born.