Chapter 24- Vanessa

The sunlight beaming through the window woke me up. I rolled over to see Chris sleeping with his mouth open. Last night was a blast. It had to be months since we spent that much time with each other. The only thing that worried me was him saying he ended it with Kim. My heart was quick to believe cling onto his words, but my mind told me to be cautious and vigilant. I wanted to live in this moment, because it was no telling how long it would last.

         I got dressed and went to my mother's house. I haven't spoken to her since I saw her in the hospital. I left a note for Chris on the fridge, so he didn't panic when he didn't see me there. The whole ride to my mom's house I was praying for everything to go well. If I could have it my way, we would all get along. We'll be like the families on TV on holidays, passing the food around the table, talking and laughing. It was never like that, even when I was young. Tiffany always hated me, and I felt bad for her because my mom always treated her like a step child.

       I pulled into the driveway erasing all my thoughts. Tiffany's car wasn't there. I rung the doorbell. After a few minutes my mom answered the door.

      "Hey beautiful!" she said with a grin.

      I squeezed her.

     "Come in! Come in!" 

      I followed her into the living room and sat down next to her.

      "Are you here alone?" I asked.

      "Yes, your sister is at work. Should be home soon."

       Damn.

      "Well, how are you feeling mom?"

       "I'm alright and yourself?"

      "I wanted you to know that I'm about 12 weeks pregnant right now."

       She screamed so loud in my ear I thought that I was going to go deaf.

      "Oh my gosh! I'm going to be a grandma!" she shouted.

       I was confused, "mom, you're already a grandma"

     She laughed it off and squeezed my hand.

     "What do you want a boy or a girl?"

    "Right now, I just want a healthy baby."

     The sound of a key unlocking the door made my heart race. Please don't let it be Tiffany. Please don't let it be Tiffany. Please don't let it be Tiffany.

Tiffany walked in with a serious expression, "what's all the screaming about?"

"Your sister is pregnant!" my mom said, appearing to be more excited than me.

"That's nothing new," she said as she took off her pumps.

My mom shooed her away and turned her attention back to me.

"Are you having any morning sickness? When are you leaving work? When is the next doctor's appointment?" her rapid questioning made my head spin.

"Mom calm down! You know I've been pregnant before."

"I know, but this one will be special."

She touched my stomach and said a prayer to herself. I looked up at Tiffany who was a few feet away, giving me a sickening glare.

"Tiffany, let me speak to you outside," I said as mom finished her prayer.

I got up and waited for her.

She came outside with her hands on her hips.

"What's your problem with me?" I asked.

I didn't want to waste time beating around the bush. This conversation was long overdue.