Chapter 19- Vanessa

When Chris left I wanted to chase after him, but I felt that I had to stay. I told myself it was because I was a nurse and that taking care of Fred was my obligation. I got a warm wash cloth and wiped away the blood from his mouth. His face was swollen, and he had a huge lump on his forehead. If Fred wanted to, he could have given Chris a challenge, I'm not sure why he chose not to.

His head was in my lap as I sat on the sofa. His long legs were dangling off the end. I closed my eyes. This headache was killing me, I'm sure it was a mixture of stress and lack of sleep. I hope that Chris was home when I did leave here. His talk about divorce didn't scare me at all. He's been known to say reckless things when he's hurt or angry. Maybe if he just moved out for awhile it wouldn't be such a bad thing. If this baby was going to make it, I needed to take care of myself. Having all that tension in the house when he was there isn't the ideal environment right now.

"Vanessa," Fred turned his body so that he could look up at me.

"Yes?"

"You didn't have to do this. I deserve everything I got."

"Let's not talk about that. I just want you to feel better."

"I'm alright. Really. I just need to rest...you should go after Chris." He sat up and placed his hand on my knee, "I don't want you to have any regrets."

"Do you have any?"

"Hiring Kim...I should have just told you how I felt."

"I still can't believe you did that Fred. What were you thinking?"

"That's the thing...I wasn't thinking."

I rested my head against the back of the sofa.

"You know what I also regret?" he asked.

"What's that?"

"Not pursuing you in college."

I was flattered. I didn't let it show.

"You should get cleaned up before you go to bed," I said as I stood up and held my hands out to help him.

I guided him into his bedroom. Visions of us making love began to excite me. I always seemed to think of the most inappropriate things at inappropriate times.

I turned on the shower and got him a fresh washcloth and towel out of the hallway closet. When I returned he only had on his boxers. I tried not to stare at his abs or the fact that his dick print was bulging out. I shook the naughty thoughts from my head.

"Here you go."

"I appreciate all you've done, I can take it from here."

"I'm not leaving until you're in bed. The last thing I need is you passing out in the bathroom with no one here to help you."

He grinned, "only you would think of something so extreme."

He went into the bathroom closing the door behind him. I scanned through a small bookshelf that was in the corner of the room. There was a photo album with a title that was obscured with dust. I wiped the book against my jeans until I saw "College Days" plastered on the front. How come I never saw this?