34. MAKING-OUT IN MID-AIR

Start from the beginning

"You should see him, Wave. The name fits. The babies think the cutest things. I could listen to their thoughts all day. I can't wait for you to meet them."

"Same, Dad."

"Now, Waverly, about your renegade behavior! I've been working on this case for a year. I told you to leave it to the experts, but no! You. Would. Not. Listen! You had to go and put your life at risk, despite my express orders to stay out of this."

I guess my dad has recovered from the 'I am so happy you're alive' phase and moved onto the 'what the Hades were you thinking?' phase.

"But Dad ..."

"Hi, Mr. Fishwater," Pickles says brightly. "You should've seen how Waverly took down Darkins and saved the world." She points to Darkins, still tied to the oak, head slumped over, as boneless as a jellyfish.

I mouth, "Thank you," to Pickles. I know she's exaggerating to get me out of trouble with my father.

"Hello, Miss McPhee," says my dad, softening. "Yes, I see you have captured and confined Darkins." Wait, my dad knows Darkins? "Did my daughter ... um ... incapacitate him?"

"No, Sir," says Thunder, stepping forward and shaking my dad's hand. "The pack and I caught him trying to escape and tied him to the tree; then I brained him with a wok."

"Nice work, Mr. Woolfson. Uh, interesting costume."

"Thanks," Thunder says. "I'm Beauty."

"Obviously," says my dad, smiling. I melt a little, and not only because I am thrilled that Pickles' diversion has saved me from being reprimanded in front of the entire school. "Hello Lily-Bella, Cupid, Khione, Vang, Fintan," he says to the group standing near us. The rest of the kids are watching the fairies build the royal stream. Guess royals can't step on normal turf.

"I am happy to see you are alright, Fintan and Pickles. The other faculty and I have been concerned. And your mother, Queen McPhee, has been raising hell. But I knew you'd be fine. I can only imagine what Waverly would do if I threatened to lock her up in a castle. Wait! Perhaps that is a good idea!"

Pickles winces when she hears my dad mention her mother's name. "I'm fine, thank you. Mostly." Pickles looks sadly at Fintan, who's standing with Thunder and Lily-Bella. So they're not back together? I should've realized that when she created the spectacular gown for me. If she and Fintan were together, Pickles wouldn't have her powers. Poor Pickles and Fintan. Somehow I am going to help them fight this unjust rule. No way will it stand. And now, my calendar is clear after Darkins' defeat! I totally need a new project.

"Ah, I see," says my dad. "Well, you're back now, and that's what matters." Pickles' mouth tightens, and she looks at the snowy ground. "I am told your mother only left campus yesterday. We are to send word when we've located you."

"Please don't, Mr. Fishwater," Pickles begs.

"It's too bad I haven't seen Pickles," says my dad, looking at me. "The only person I see here is a dragonrider who looks somewhat like her." Indeed, Pickles looks like a flaming match with her bright red hair and black leather that matches Fintan's skin. I thought the outfit was just meant to be fireproof, but evidently, it is also some kind of standard dragonrider attire.

"Thank you!" Pickles stands on her tiptoes, and my dad leans over to allow her to kiss his cheek.

My dad's eyes flick over to the limos. The door to the third car, upon which gleams the twined sea monster crest of the royal mer family, opens. Eight guards, in teal uniforms, come out of a car, attaching long curved sabers to their belts. Once they are affixed, the soldiers march in two lines to the start of the fairy stream. Two footmen in long green coats then exit from the front of the royal limo. One footman opens the door. Dad looks at me, raises an eyebrow, and says: "Wave, can you at least pretend to be an obedient, loyal subject for a few minutes?" I can hear the laughter in his tone and know he isn't really mad at me after all. In fact, I think he's a little proud.