Chapter 31: Revenge Is Better With Friends

The first few days back in the village went better than expected. They were hell and I almost didn't survive, but again, it could have been worse. I wasn't welcomed back with open arms from everyone. Gou was very supportive of me and I showed him my appreciation of it at night in our home, but that was just one person.

My father, though willing to accept me back, knew that my actions and betrayal deserved punishment. He and the other elders put me through the gauntlet before I was allowed to wear our crest once more. For three days and four nights I was not permitted to sleep as it was considered an escape from my pain. No food or water either. The first day was public punishment where I was tied to the post in the center of the village. I wore nothing but my undergarments while they whipped my back, arms, face, legs, and chest with thin bamboo strips. It was hard enough to tear through the fabric at some points. By the end of the day my skin was torn up and raw. They then cut me down and let me fall on the dirt. I deserved no kindness from them and I knew that. They dragged me on the ground, taking the long way to ensure as many rocks and dirt made their way into my fresh wounds as possible. Was it painful? Very. Did I let it show? Of course not.

The next two days I was subjected to living in a dark cell that was dug into the ground. They were kind enough to throw me down into it instead of lowering me down on rope. The landing was hard enough to knock the air from my lungs. There were no windows since it was a literal hole in the ground and when the stone slab was placed back on the top there was no light. Complete solitary confinement. I had known a few people in the village who spent a week in the hole and couldn't handle it. Even the most hardened of people have the ability to be broken by pure nothingness. It wasn't as if I never saw people though. Every three hours the slab was removed and pots of hot water were poured down the hole onto my body. After two days and three nights of it there was a deep layer of mud that kept pulling me lower. I had been doing pain training since I was a child and brought to this village. The ninjas here had to endure being boiled alive as part of our training. It helped in the long run. There were a few jobs I went on where I had pots of water thrown at me by targets and I didn't react the way they expected. That wasn't to say I enjoyed it or that it didn't hurt. Of course it hurt. It was boiling hot water hitting my body. I was simply able to endure it. 

The fourth and final night was once they took me from the hole, they once again tied me up in the center of the village. I was tired, hungry, filthy and wounded. The final part of my punishment was humiliation from the village. I had my tattered clothes ripped from my body before everyone and they were allowed to do whatever they wished to me without killing me. Gou stood by me to ensure that rule was unbroken but he couldn't interfere with my punishment. Thankfully I had a good relationship with the village before I left it for Edo. Most times I had seen this punishment, I saw people have their arms fully skinned, branded, stabbed, I even saw someone get a chunk of their legs simply cut off. They were being a lot nicer to me. I was cut, beat, had rotten food shoved down my throat and poisoned. I was given the antidote only to be poisoned again. Not pleasant but I understood.

And then I was done. My bindings were cut and I was given clean clothing to wear after I bathed and saw the doctor for my wounds. Gou was dotting on me by bringing me food, water and his comfort. 

"How are you feeling? Can I get you anything?" Stroking my hair softly, Gou looked at me a I rested my head on his chest. 

"I told you an hour ago that I'm fine. And now, thanks to you, I feel even better." I kissed his chest softly. 

"I should have just let you rest. You need it. You're still not healed."

"Don't worry about it, I was the one who jumped you. I'd have apologized myself but you were clearly enjoying yourself." I snickered quietly and took a look at his face in the dark. He was good looking and strong. A talented and loyal ninja who cared about me. The perfect husband. The attitude he had in Edo was just a memory now. Had I never met Kinshiro, I more than likely never would have seen that side of him directed at me. But that changed nothing. I had my plan.