Chapter Forty

Imaan could not sleep. In less than twenty-four hours, she will be a married woman. And yes, many people say marriage is a wonderful thing, bringing happiness and joy to two families, but is she ready for it? She will have to leave her home and the life she knew. And if there was anything Imaan feared the most, it was the unknown—the future. How will she adjust to a family she's never lived with before? How strange would it be to share a room with someone—a man, no less? What happens if she gets into an argument with her in-laws?

No, no, no, Imaan shook her head fiercely, hitting her pillow with every jerk. It was past midnight and the moonlight shone through the window, illuminating the fierce expression on her face. You will not think like that. Didn't you make istikhaara? Didn't you feel at peace upon making dua? She immediately started to recite istighfar, wondering if the reason she felt this unease was because of the evil whispers from Shaitan. Her fervent whispers faded eventually as she fell into a dreamless sleep.

~*~*~*~*~

A knock on her bedroom door startled Imaan awake.

"Asalamualaykum, Imaan!" Nida's familiar voice called from outside the door. "Time to rise and shine!"

Imaan sat up, her heart pounding. She was getting married today. Before she could fully comprehend the thought, the door opened to reveal a cheerful Nida, wearing a baby blue abaya and gray scarf, reflecting her happiness.

"How are you still asleep on the morning of your wedding day?" Nida scolded her as she pulled back the curtains, sounding very much like a mother.

"Nida," Imaan said, her voice slightly trembling, "I'm scared."

"Oh, Imaan," Nida turned around and took a seat at the foot of the bed. She looked at Imaan, taking in the anxious expression on her face. "Weren't it you who said that we must have tawakkul in every aspect of our life? That we must put our trust in Allah and take the plunge, whatever it may be? The pen has been lifted and the ink is dried, were the words, no? Why are you so worried when Allah has already taken care of everything?"

It was the conviction and belief in Nida's words, the fact that she forgot about tawakkul, that Imaan suddenly sprang up and said, with a firm nod, "You're right, of course. What have I been thinking? Allah has taken care of it all." Imaan's heart felt at ease, knowing her Lord was indeed, in control of everything. Now, she felt the joy trickling in. She was going to get married! And it'll be okay.

"Alright, I'll go shower and then have breakfast. Do you know when the makeup artist will arrive?" Imaan asked as she turned to rummage through her closet, looking for a nice cotton salwar kameez to wear.

"That's more like it." Nida nodded approvingly. "I set the appointment for three pm. You have about two and a half hours before she arrives."

Imaan nodded as she took her clothes and towel to the bathroom. "Thanks, Nida," Imaan said with a heartfelt smile from the entry of her bedroom door. "Really appreciate the little talk."

"I only told you what you taught me," Nida responded graciously. With a smile, Imaan closed her bedroom door and padded her way to the bathroom.

~*~*~*~*~

The makeup artist took two hours to do Imaan's face and hair. Jenna was about to go crazy with impatience! Since the artist had walked in, Jenna had done her own makeup along with her mother's and Mrs. Choudhary's. She isn't allowed to go into the room either because the finished look will be a "surprise," the makeup artist insisted.

With a sigh, Jenna got up from the sofa in the Choudhary's living room for the millionth time. Mrs. Choudhary was fixing her saree up a little, making sure she was fine and covered. She wore a light blue saree with beige embroidered flowers all over. Her beige hijab was fixed neatly over her head, thanks to Jenna's nimble fingers. She had on a gold necklace that hung low over her chest and her arms, too, were bejeweled with gold bracelets and a gold ring. It was the time to bring out all the gold she owned.