16. Blood in the water

^Chloe Grace Moretz as Katie Ryder

Shrieks of terror drove me as I propelled past the water and towards the sound. My adrenaline was kicking in while I grew more and more uncertain as to what was ahead of me. Noiselessness greeted me as I neared causing my heartbeat to accelerate and my body to erupt in goosebumps. Blonde streaks of hair coated with blood greeted me as I neared and I resisted the urge to vomit. An abrupt gasp of air was taken from the girl who popped up just a few feet from me.

The sight was gruesome. She had a blood-stained face with blood still trickling from the top of her head which looked scalped almost. I could feel her anguish as she shrieked. Coming within arm's length, she looked faint and I could feel myself trembling.

"Please stay with me." I begged however she continued to scream. She looked about nine. I encircled my arms around her, and couldn't help but pull back instantly.

Pulling back my arm, I saw small portions of what looked like glass embedded into my own skin. My blood started to merge with hers. I started to panic when she howled.

I hadn't realized someone had followed me until I saw Chris appear right by my side. He started to grab her before I spoke over her wailing, "She has glass all over her!"

He shook his head." Think you can grab my hand?"

"HELP ME!" She thrashed.

"Here." I said ignoring the pain as I clutched her with one arm and started to pull her forward. It was then that she yelped in pain and was jerked back.

"There's something around her foot!" I shouted as I overheard approaching sirens.

Chris immediately dived. I winced as her grip tightened on me and her screams pierced my ears. I knew her blood from her head was dripping on my forehead. My free bleeding arm was the only thing keeping us up.

Chris resurfaced and took a deep breath before diving once again. I felt myself start to tire and I tried to comfort the girl however every time I did I felt more incapable. Her shrieks were coming in random bursts and every time her head dipped, another scream came from her lips. The blood puddling around us seemed to grow denser and more abundant as I prayed.

Chris resurfaced once again yet, the girl was limp in my arms. "She's limp!" I said unable to keep the panic out of my voice.

"She's free! Come on!" His ushered words transmitted relief through me.

It seemed as if it took hours to race back with the debilitated girl.

Paramedics rushed to us as we neared shore. Immediately we were bombarded with questions as people came to our sides. Someone hauled the girl back towards an ambulance taking her from me. I bit back a scream at I felt the glass pull back to her.

As they asked questions, I started to zone out watching as the girl was hoisted onto a small bed and lifted into an ambulance. "Ma'am! Please." Snapping back to reality, I tried to answer her questions. I didn't feel like much help.

"Are you her mother?"

I shook my head. "No, I don't know her," I answered.

"Thank you. We'll keep you as guardian of her until her parents come forward. After an exchange of phone numbers, they whisked back into a cop car leaving me mentally and physically exhausted. It was then that a spare medic, who had been working on Chris's hands, came to attend my wounds.

It was then that Brett came up to me with shock on his face. "Who knew my best friend was a hero!?" I rolled my eyes, "I'm serious!"

"Anyone could've done it."