Seperate Paths

Their journey wasn't quick seeing how they had been on foot

Their journey wasn't quick seeing how they had been on foot. The risk of being on a horse would draw too much attention. According to Stryder, the mountain they were finding was located in the thick forest that laid close to Torrhen's Square.

Now that she knew where they were headed, she began to remember how the northern men avoided the woods. The tales of monsters and ghosts kept the children at bay, but it was the men who disappeared that kept the men from venturing in. The only game they hunted was the ones that roamed on the lowest level.

The more they talked about the secret of the mountain, the more Jaidyn got more intrigued. She wanted to know how they had managed to live among in the kingdom, yet don't answer to any lord.

"The mountain men were once apart of Westeros, accepted by all. When the rise of kings came, they retreated into the mountain. They didn't want to be used as a pawn for a king's pleasure." Stryder began to tell her when they had stopped for the night.

His last statement reminding her how Robb had called the banners at the beginning of their cause. They all answered because they had sworn to come when called. Not many might have agreed with their reasoning and in fact, many lives were lost due to the battles that were held. The thought of continue traveling south, especially with winter approach, was not pleasing to many of the lords that Robb held at his side. Many of them would want to see their men home to their families. Their cause was beginning to dwindle.

"Why haven't any of the lords tried to get them to submit?" Jaidyn asked wondering how they were able to stay hidden for so long.

"Many have tried, but none have succeeded. Their strength and numbers push any advances back. Strength is the only thing that matters to them. You prove your worth and they will accept you." Stryder explained to her while tending to their fire.

"How do you know all this?" The girl questioned seeing how he held all the answers to who these people were.

It took a moment for the man to answer but she needed honesty if she were going to venture there. "Because I used to be one of them."

She was shocked to say the least, not thinking he would say that. She never thought he might've been among them when he was talking about them. But why was he there now?

"Enough questions for tonight. It's best if you get some sleep." Stryder advised before grabbing his sword. "I'll make sure the woods are clear and that no one followed us."

He made his exit quickly before she could think of a reply. Now left alone, her eyes settled on Aden. He had grown rather quickly since his birth. Soon enough, he would be crawling around to explore his surroundings.