fifteen

1 5.

•••

Darkness soon consumed all around us.

But thanks to the light of the moon, it illuminated from above making it visible to see. I didn't want to admit out loud that I was afraid of the dark.

He already knew that though. I just had to hide it well.

Running my hand down my face frustratingly, I sighed as I brought the half bottle of tequila to my lips, and tilted my head back downing a large amount of alcohol into my system.

We'd been walking for what felt like five hours now. The alcohol rushed through my veins causing my head to sway, and my emotions were heightened.

I felt like pouring the truth out of my heart.

Scott strolled alongside me — just as drunk as I was — rambling incoherently under his breath. I passed him the bottle, ignoring the tingling running through my fingers when his fingertips grazed over mine.

We locked eyes, and I could see the distress in his green eyes. He looked more attractive with the light of the moon that accentuated his beautiful features.

My mind was going crazy and I averted my gaze, not wanting to be part of this though I was already in too deep. And as much as I want to deny it; I just couldn't.

"I never hated you," Scott suddenly said, voice slurred. "Never did, never think I can. I've always felt like I haven't met the right person for me yet like you know, a soul mate until I met you."

He surprised me by his choice of words. I kept my gaze ahead of me, trying to wrap my brain around all this. "You can't just claim someone to be your soul mate when the other doesn't feel the same way."

Scott took a gulp from the bottle, and wiped his lips with the back of his hand. "We both know that's not true, Zayn. You feel exactly the same as I feel you."

"Why are you bringing this up?" I asked, pursing my lips. "Not that I don't wanna hear what you have to say. It's just..."

"It's just what?" he urged, turning so he could look at me. I suddenly felt hot under his scrutiny. "As far as I'm concerned, you're the least person I hate in this world right now."

He passed me the bottle, and I took it from his hand, making sure that our skin didn't touch.

"You're just saying all these things because you're drunk," I said, running my hands through my hair. "Nothing you say will ever change how I feel. You can't expect me to reciprocate your feelings because it's forbidden."

Scott grabbed my wrist, and pulled me into his chest. I gulped when he looked down at me. "If it is so forbidden then why do I feel so alive? You ignite the fire in me."

I rolled my eyes, patted his chest and took a step back. "There you go off the deep end, amigo," I replied, taking a gulp from the bottle.

He might be thinking I hate him, but I didn't. I was so tempted to tell him that. To keep us both safe, I'd rather hurt myself than do any harm to him.

"Yeah I know," he said, chuckling. "But it doesn't hurt to try. I... I don't know if I'll ever be more in love —"

I held my hand up for him to stop talking. "We're not talking about love right now," I said, "that's cliché and something I do not want to be part of."