THE DRAGON'S CALL (2)

Merlin...Merlin...

Merlin groaned and pulled her thin blanket over her head as light shone in from the window. She had chosen to leave the window slightly open last night in order to let fresh air come in and now she was regretting her decision. Outside her bedchamber she could hear Gaius moving around, and she knew that it was time for her to get up for the day. With a huff, Merlin threw off her blanket and sat up to stretch. That was one of the best sleeps that she had ever had and she found herself reluctant to get up.

With one last stretch she got off her bed and grabbed her bag from where she had thrown it the night before. She pulled the bag close to her and pulled out her favorite blue dress. She was happy that she could finally wear her dress again as she hadn't been able to during her journey to Camelot. It wouldn't have been convenient or safe as she was a girl by herself and a dress would have drawn too much attention on the road. Releasing her hair from it's braid she ran her fingers through her dark hair to undo any knots and winced when she did. She should have done it last night, but she had been too tired to do anything other than fall on her bed and pass out.

Searching through her bag, Merlin found her red ribbon at the bottom and pulled it out. She has had the ribbon for years now and it showed in the frayed edges. The ribbon was made of silk and it was probably one of the most expensive things that she owned. A merchant that had regularly passed through Ealdor had given it to her one day after she had mentioned how beautiful it was. She's worn it ever since, but had to hide it in her bag on her way to Camelot because she didn't want to risk losing it or having it stolen on the off chance that she ran into anyone.

"Merlin," Gaius called from the other room.

Gripping her ribbon in her hand, she called out, "I'm coming."

She turned towards the door, and after shoving her bag into the wardrobe, she made her way down the steps and into the physician's chambers where Gaius was preparing breakfast for them.

"Morning, Gaius," she said. Quickly tying her ribbon into her hair, Merlin made her way towards the only table that wasn't covered in potions or beakers.

"Help yourself to breakfast." Gaius set down a bowl filled with watery porridge in front of her before going back to retrieve his own bowl. She couldn't help the grimace that flashed through her face after she picked up her spoon and watched the porridge fall back down. When she felt Gaius coming up behind her, she turned to ask him what she should do today only to watch as he knocked down a bucket of water that had been next to her. Merlin stood up and felt her magic flare up as the bucket stopped before it could fall onto the floor. Distracted by Gaius's gasp, she lost her concentration and the bucket dropped, splashing water everywhere.

"How did you do that? Did you incant a spell in your mind?" Again Gaius started up his interrogation from the day before.

"No, I- I don't know any spells," she said, shaking her head to emphasis her point.

Like yesterday, Gaius didn't let up with his questioning even when she denied knowing anything. For what seemed like the thousandth time she told him how she didn't know how her magic worked. That it just happens and at times without her control. Although, she thinks to herself, she has been able to gain some semblance of control over the years, enough for her not to get into any trouble. Unsatisfied with her explanation, Gaius watched as she went for the mop in order to clean up the water that had been forgotten for Gaius's questioning.

Merlin was relieved when Gaius let the conversation go for the time-being and instead changed the conversation to something else. "You can help me until I find some paid work for you. Here." Gaius grabbed a small sac and bottle from one of the tables and placed it on the table next to her forgotten porridge. Pointing down at the sac he said, " Hollyhock and Feverfew for Lady Percival," and then towards the bottle he explained, "this is for Sir Olwin. He's as blind as a weevil, so warn him not to take it all at once."