Chapter 42: Together

Arm in arm, Karla and Izzie watched James and his father leave the hollow in their strange craft, its appendages trailing like streamers. They sat together in silence behind the infirmary, just holding each other, basking in each other's presence. Karla ensures that all of her senses are operating. She wants to hear every sniffle, feel every bit of warmth in her sister's body, smell every bit of dust in Isobel's hair.

They had been in this situation many times before, when Papa had separated them, accusing Karla of corrupting her younger sister, assigned Izzie to stay with friends he had vetted for their ability to provide a solid Christian environment. Each time Izzie would find a way to sneak back home and Karla would hide with her in a closet until Papa found them.

Victims from the first strike are still arriving at the triage site with another orb on the way. Many refugees are packing up and fleeing the valley on foot and by bug. Others seek shelter farther from the ark.

The Ophanim and the weavers have not wavered in their efforts to restore the damaged ark. The flesh of the beast has now regrown to cover most of the frame and much of the decking has been restored to its prior extent.

Their efforts seemed so futile to Karla, with another orb on its way to undo all their efforts. She didn't know whether they were brave or stupid.

"What happens if there is no ark?" said Izzie.

"Then we find another way to get to the new realm."

"New realm? I don't want a new realm. I like this one."

"I know. But what else can we do?"

"Evaporate."

"What?"

"Maybe it's time we just give it all up."

"But we have a realm, sis. A very good realm. It's called life."

"Good? When has anything good happened to us there?"

"Plenty. Just because things aren't good right now, doesn't mean they can't get better."

"And then they get bad again."

"That's how life is. Good things come in waves. We have to catch the good ones and ride them as long as we can."

"You're so obsessed with surfing. But we've never really even been to a beach growing up. Why is that?"

"I want to try some day. It looks like fun."

"Jamie surfed. His father would take him to Thurso and Tiree every summer."

"I'm so sorry about what happened. Who did this?"

"Thugs. Two cars pulled up and snatched us."

"But who exactly?"

"I don't know. Two older men and a bunch of kids. They definitely knew Papa. They kept saying Pastor Raeth this, Pastor Raeth that."

"Altar boys?"

"I don't know. It was dark. They stuck pillow cases over our heads and taped us up. Jamie was so scared. They stuck him in the boot."

"What about now? Where are they holding you?"

"It's a summer camp."

"You're there, right now?"

"Yes."

"Where exactly. I'm there too, just so you know. I'm out there hiding in the weeds. A friend and I are trying to free you."

"For reals?"

"So where are you, exactly? Which building?"

"They keep me in the nurse's office. It's in the basement of the main building. The one with the classrooms and the cafeteria. I haven't been eating so they've been giving me a feeding tube. They have a doctor come in and see me from time to time. They think I keep going into comas. They're scared I'll kick the bucket and they'll be in trouble with Papa. So they're trying their best to keep me alive. I found some pills though. Hid them away. When the time comes...."

"Don't you dare! I'm going to get you out. I'm right outside in the weeds."

"Really? That's so sweet of you."

"Are you able to walk at all?"

"When I'm back? I suppose. I can get to the bathroom alright. I'm a little wobbly."

"Be ready to run. We plan to take you through the forest. There's a golf course behind the camp. We have a car waiting."

"Karla, you shouldn't! It's too dangerous."

"I don't care."

"But the platoon, they have rifles. I hear them practicing."

"The platoon? Do you mean those altar boys?"

"That's what they call themselves: 'the platoon.' They held a mass where they all took vows to fight to the death for their church. We were there. All us kids. They made us attend."

"The other children. How many are there?"

"I don't know. About ten or so. The rest come and go. I'm the only one who stays."

"You stay on the alert for us. We are coming to get you."

"Well, not if you're here. And if we're not back there at the same time you'll be dealing with a sack of potatoes. I'm not going to be much help if I'm out of it. I've lost a lot of weight, though. I suppose you could carry me."

"Can you fade, on demand?"

"Not really. Can't say I've actually tried."

"I used to be able to. You have to brim with the positive. Force yourself to be hopeful and eager."

"Ugh. I don't think that's possible."

"Try. We'll both try. Together, alright? And once we're back we work to stay there? Alright? Just till we get you out of that camp and then you can be as glum as you want. Knock yourself out. I don't care."

"Okay, but... what do we have to be hopeful about? I mean, there's nothing for us on the other side. And things are turning to shit here, so—"

Raucous cheers rang out like thunder across the camp. Refugees who had begun to abandon the area paused to look out towards the bluffs. Many who did so came running back, all ecstatic.

Karla stood up and looked around.

"What's going on?"

"The orb! It turned away!"

Out over the valley portal, the huge and deadly fireball which had had them in its sights was no longer coming straight at them. It had turned back towards the pitted plains. It was chasing a lone tiny, wispy speck in the sky.

"What is that?" asked Izzie.

"James!"