Chapter 30: Old Friend

While Belinda preoccupied herself with making amends with the entire society of Old Ones via the withered and crusted-over woman she had found on the porch of a small dilapidated house, Karla took steps to rehabilitate the structure enough to shelter them from the coming storm.

The house didn't need much, just some bolstering and stiffening of sagging beams, some restoration of the glass in the window panes. She concentrated most of her efforts on the roof as it would be nice to have a ceiling that didn't drip on them once the rains started.

Belinda spent a good half an hour communing with the Old One, a lanky woman in a dress that had once sported a colorful print but was now various shades of brown with only hints of its original hues. Gently, she cleared off the debris piled up in the woman's lap, smoothing her tangled hair, peeling cobwebs from her open eyes.

She cooed and chattered incessantly at the woman, as if her mindless babble might lure the woman's soul back from its wanderings. The filibustering had little effect. The Old One's eyes remained fixed straight ahead with that thousand mile stare of the long sleep.

Karla came out onto the porch to sweep. A wind was kicking up from the east.

"I don't understand how her eyes stay moist. She never blinks."

"Maybe it's time to leave her be," said Karla. "This one's soul is very far away."

"Should we bring her inside? She's gonna get rained on."

"She's been sitting in that spot for months if not years. Better we not disturb her."

"But I don't want her to get wet."

"She'll be fine. Trust me. Old One's are used to withstanding the elements."

The rain began with a light spattering of fine drops, but soon grew into what could only be described as a deluge.

"Come inside."

They retreated into the house and Karla rejiggered the door so it would shut properly. The interior had only a kitchen, a sitting room and a tiny bathroom. It contained no usable furniture but plenty of debris and partially regressed roots that could be turned into whatever they needed.

Karla stared at the ceiling, ready to combat any drips and was immensely pleased to discover none.

"How do they get that way?" said Belinda. "The Old Ones."

"Experience. It's like accruing mileage on a car. The Singularity opens to only those whose souls have grown deep enough to access it. There are exceptions, of course."

"James."

"Yes. Apparently. Which I never completely understood. James is different. But not really that different from the rest of us. I would not exactly call him mature. But what do I know? He's in the upper realms now. With a blonde."

"You've been to the Deeps. Does that mean you'll be an Old One someday?"

"I doubt it. My soul still feels pretty green to me."

Belinda kept glancing towards the door every time the wind shook it.

"I sure hope she's comfortable out there, wherever she is."

"Her body is as tough as stone and she doesn't need it right now. She doesn't feel anything. She is perfectly fine. Her soul is likely off somewhere pleasant, of her choice. In the Singularity you get to experience anything you want, whatever any other soul is experiencing. James used to come and spy on me in Scotland."

Belinda cocked her head to one side and squinted.

"You know, he wouldn't do that if he didn't care about you."