6. Bringing Up The Past, Sabotaging Futures

Start from the beginning

“Wine?” Richard offered.

“Don’t mind if I...” Sally begun but Michael cut her off.

“Yeah alright” He said looking straight at Sally. “No harm in it is there?”

She coughed.

“You need to be up for work tomorrow honey.”

“It’s just a drink Sally. Nothing to get embarrassed over.” He said as he took back his wine glass and tilted it to his lips. Sally flinched with hurt. Maybe what she said was a little out of line. But if it was then wasn’t this just proving her right?

“No. Of course it isn’t.” Sally said after a short pause. She turned to Arlene and Richard. “You know how it is. I just get so caught up in being a protective mother that I end up being a protective wife!” She said conjuring up a  fake laugh.

“Oh I know entirely what you mean.” Arlene said. “The main issue is trust and detachment. I trust my sweet Richard, and he trusts me. So we feel no need to protect each other and spend every second with each other. It’s so refreshing this way. Us ladies know to leave a man to look after himself” She winked at Sally and glanced back at Richard and shot him a smouldering smile.

“We could certainly take a lesson out of their book huh honey?” Michael said in mock laughter and downed the rest of his wine.

“I suppose so. If that’s what you want” Sally said, hiding her anger. What did she leave Jack for? To help a man who didn’t want her help. She was furious. She had every right to tell him not to be embarrassing and every right to defend herself. Maybe Arlene was right: she should just leave Michael to fend for himself. But not only was she angry at this, she felt the familiar tingles of resignation of knowing Michael was drinking. Again. She tried to tell him. She couldn’t change him. She was done.

“Richard, tell us that story again.” Sally asked, keen to change the subject. “The one about the dog?”

She knew the story well. And so she let her mind drift for just a few moments. She studied Michael who sat opposite her, despising him more with every second. He didn’t seem to notice. He was too busy pouring himself another glass. Finally dinner arrived. Some soup in square bowls. On a normal day Sally would think “Square bowls? Who has square bowls?” but at that moment Arlene’s exquisite style, beauty and home making was the least of her concerns. Sally felt all the more agitated. She forgot about any idea of enjoying herself and simply focused on laughing and commenting at the right moment.

“...and so I shot the bugger” Richard finished his story, receiving laughs from all involved.

“Wonderful. Wonderful. Wonderful.” Michael said mumbling to himself, looking cheerful. Sally knew him well enough that this cheerfulness was ridden with mean spirit. “Today seems like the night for hearing Richard’s stories. Richard, why do you tell us how you met your beautiful wife?”

“Pfft, come on we all know this story.” Richard laughed and waved it off.

“Still, you put it so... neatly.” Michael insited, swirling the wine in his glass.

“Weeelll... if you all want me too.”

“Oh yes darling. It is so romantic and funny.” Arlene said, stroking Richard on the shoulder while Sally busied herself with a mouthful of the newly arrived main course and wine. She did not want to hear that story. She knew it well. She knew Michael wanted Richard to say it, because it made Sally small and inferior and unimportant.

“Well it all started on a beautiful summer evening. Did it not my darling?” Richard said looking at his wife who nodded to every word.

“It happened on the very last night before I left for France to give Hitler the last kick up the backside. There was a summer ball, with many a fine ladies, but my eye was on just one. I came up to her, she was wearing a red polka dot dress and her hair was all done up on one side. I said to her” May I have this dance?” And she said “Only if you promise to kiss me”. So of course, that was a hell of a bargain. We danced and kissed all night.  That was some of mine finest dancing you know. At the end of the night I told her I had to go and fight for my country. She asked “What will you remember me by? Where will you go when you come home.” So we wrote each other notes, little promises to see each other when I’m back, proclaiming our love. I kept it in my left breast pocket throughout the entirety of my service. Then when I get back, I find she’s with this jackass over here!” Richard said pointing at Michael receiving shriek’s of laughter from Arlene and Michael, and polite giggles from Sally.