"Listen, Mazz, I'm ten! I want to make a snow man!"

"Kim! No! Your ten! Your ten! Listen to me! I'm seven years older than you. Just-"

"When you were ten you got to shoot a gun! You got to go outside!"

"That's because I didn't know what I was up against! Dad made me go outside!"

Dad.

Mom and dads name was forbidden to say.

That was part of rule number seven.

Tears weld up in Kim's eyes.

"Mommy" her bottom lip trembled. Kim had been closer to mom than I had. I had been closer to my dad.

We don't know that they're dead (they are, I'm sure of it) but I know that they are gone.

Never to be seen again.

"Kim, you know the rules." I whispered.

"Grow up Mazz! I'm supposed to be searching for a cure for zombies but I want to have fun too!" She got up and stomped her feet like a little two year old.

"You grow up!" I snap, "I'm protecting you!" I get up and tower over her. "Now, mom and dad are gone." I broke rule number seven, "and I'm sorry about that! But you know the rules!"

"You and these rules!" She screams. "I'm going to bed!" She walked over to her bed made on the floor on the left side of the attic. I sleep on the right side.

Kim is still my sister. And I still love her. But I need to protect her.

She's the only family I have left.

~~~~~~~

It had been about an hour.

Kim wasn't snoring like usual.

I broke the silence.

"Kim." I breathe in, "I'm sorry,"

Silence

"Kim, do you want to go outside?" I take a sharp intake of breath. I can't believe I've broken two of my rules.

Just so that Kim won't be mad.

Kim started to laugh. I sat up. My thick sleeping bag slipping back.

She jumps up and and rushes over to me.

"Really!!!! Are you serious?" Her eyes shine in excitement.

"Yeah," I say in defeat.

I can battle zombies but not my little sister.

Kim grabs my arm and yanks me up.

"Come on come on!" She shrieks, "get on your coat!"

I was currently wearing a black turtleneck sweater and some jeans that I had stolen from a store called HM. I think.

I tromp over to the corner where are coats and boots are.

Handing her her brown coat and boots she enthusiastically puts them on.

Once were properly dressed we make are way down the rickety barn ladder.

Kim waits for me at the bottom practically jumping up and down.

Our breathes come out in puffs of white. I keep one of my hands locked with hers the other one wrapped around my handgun in my pocket.

Kim races outside with me right behind her.

It's nighttime. The worst time to be out.

Nighttime for zombies is like day to us. They see better, smell better, are faster, and are just better. Durning the day they are off somewhere sleeping. Except of the idiot ones that are awake we usually don't run into any during the day.

The only reason I know that they are better at night is that Kim and me were making one of our escapes and I thought maybe it would be better to do it at night.

They. Were. Everywhere.

That was one of the scariest nights ever.

Stepping outside into the chilled night. The snow covered the earth in a beautiful manner.

Which made it more horrifying.

Kim let go of my hand and ran across the fairly deep mound. I stood guard by the barn door.

I was tired. Kim was not.

After about thirty minuets Kim came running up to me

"Mazz, c-can w-w-we go inside n-n-now?" She managed to say through chattered teeth.

"Yes little frozen monster." I say with a smile.

'See, there's nothing to be worried about' my mind whispered.

Then I heard a groan and a shuffle from behind me.

And again.

I smelt it before I saw it.

A/N: good? Bad? Update? No? Comment? This is not edited. Nor will any of the new chapters be.