Kisses In The Sunlight

Start from the beginning

" The human infirmary?" My father spat, before thinking about his actions, " Very well, but she takes two guards with her. My daughter is very unpredictable." My mother just stood by and let him make the decisions, my mother was a beautiful woman, her straight blonde hair had been dyed various colours since she was just eleven, but she never let it be it's natural colour, my father would never have allowed that. Her eyes shone blue, like mine and her cheekbones were set high in her face. Somehow, she managed to look both stern and oddly sweet.

Within minutes I was loaded into a car and taken to the local hospital, with two guards sat on either side of me. I felt more like a prisoner than a princess.

After two hours of tests and scans and medicine, I was left alone to sleep. I didn't sleep. I just stared up at the ceiling from the lumpy mattress, covered in scratchy black sheets. I thought of Wolfy, I thought of Stephan, I thought of the countless suitors my father had forced me to meet, but only briefly, I didn't care to think of all of the old vampires I had been forced to encounter, not that any had looked their age, but something about them always gave away the time period in which they were raised. A top hat; a bow tie, a cloak, there was always something.

Eventually, my brother visited me, on what seemed like my thousandth day in the hospital but what was, in reality my third. " How're you doing, sister?" He asked me, genuine concern showing on his face, an odd look on a boy with blue hair and a vampire's complexion.

" What is it you and Etti and the stupid questions?" I grunted, concealing a smile. He just shrugged, a smile working its way onto his face. After a moment we both burst into fits of laughter. For the next few hours we just talked, normal bother-sister chat, until he mentioned Wolfy.

" Wolfy called for you again by the way." He smirked, watching me closely for any sign of a reaction.

" What did he want? And do me a favour, wipe that stupid smile off of your stupid face." I replied, a little more defensively than I had planned.

" He wanted me to ask you to meet him, tomorrow, when you're out of this place. At the edge of the cliffe, the one that hangs over the west side of the beach, he wants to meet at midday." I was shocked by this, it was highly unusual for me to even see Wolfy without Julian being there, it was down right strange for him to arrange to meet only me.

" Why? Did he say why?" I asked, worrying now. Why on earth would Wolfy want to meet me? Why would he want to meet at midday? That's just plain stupid. In context it's like a human boy arranging to meet a human girl at midnight, meaning neither of their parent's are likely to know and the chances are it's not exactly within the rules.

" He just said he wanted to talk to you, I don't have a single clue why, sorry, sis." He shrugged, such a useful person, my brother.

" Great. Anyway, how's everyone been? And by everyone I mean Etti." I asked him, hoping to steer the conversation onto safer ground. He clearly saw right through me but decided to ignore it and answer me regardless.

" She's fine, she just wants you home truth be told. Dad's been getting on her case though, funnily enough it seems like he misses you as well."

" I think you mean he misses torturing someone. So now he's decided to turn his attention to Etti. He's such a heartless, cruel, vindictive-" I replied, angrily.

" Vampire?" Julian interrupted, a sad smile crossing his face before he added, " Listen, Julianna, you aren't going to change our father, but you might be able to change some others though. Anna, you've single handedly changed how a lot of our father's followers think, you raised the age of legal hunting, you're sixteen, you can't change our father, you can change many others though. Think about it." With that he stood up from his chair and...left. Just like that. Well that was just random. Where did that come from?