"Do not tempt me," Fidelia replied, holding his gaze before adding sarcastically, "husband."

Lord Greyville opened his mouth as if the word unnerved him be­fore laughing uncomfortably. "Yes, I wish to speak to you about that—"

"So that was your plan all along? Come riding to our rescue and trick us into coming with you so you could claim an easy wife?" Fidelia planted her hands on her hips.

He snorted. "I certainly didn't plan this, Miss Atwell. I am a lord. I could have any debutante in England—"

"Then go find one of them to be your wife, because I certainly will not—"

"She's right, William," Mr. de Lacy joined in. "You are a lord with responsibilities. You should have said she was my wife."

"I beg your pardon? I am not any man's wife!" Fidelia turned her glare on Mr. de Lacy.

She did not have the patience for this, and she needed time to plan a way out of this mess. "Come, Lottie." She put an arm around her sister and led her to a spread of blankets. "If you will excuse us, gentlemen, we must retire for the night." 

It was still early, but Fidelia looked at the two men, daring them to disagree. 

Lord Greyville clenched his fist but nodded politely. Mr. de Lacy stared at Fidelia for several moments and opened his mouth as if he wanted to say something, but the two men finally turned and left. 

As the door closed, Fidelia let out the breath she'd been holding. "Lottie, get your things."

"What?" Lottie yawned.

"We are leaving," Fidelia said, gathering up blankets. "Tonight."

***
The other women finally returned, eyeing Fidelia and Lottie suspi­ciously. The sisters sat quietly on the bed they shared, their few posses­sions still packed. Miss Palmer gave them a friendly wave and Lottie brightened and rose as if to join her, but Fidelia pulled her sister down.  She didn't want to stir up any excitement that would keep the other women awake any longer. 

They waited another half hour.  Lottie fell asleep with her head in Fidelia's lap.  Finally, the last of the women stopped toss­ing and their soft snores filled the mess hall.

Quietly, Fidelia retrieved the few things she had packed and shook the sleepy Lottie awake. The cat, Puppy, yowled when Fidelia picked him up. He was still upset at her for the traumatic saddlebag ride he'd had earlier that day. Fidelia wrapped him in a blanket until only his head was exposed. She winced and held her breath as Puppy continued mewling, but the other women re­mained fast asleep.

If they were quiet, she, Lottie, and Puppy could escape on one of the dinghies and row back to the coast without anyone stopping them. Let Lord Greyville deal with the aftermath that his lies had caused. She was not going to be his wife, or anyone's, for that matter. 

"Come on." She hauled Lottie to her feet and led her across the hall, pausing to open the door just a crack.

As she had suspected, the space beyond the door was empty, and the ship was almost silent except for the creaking wood. Lord Greyville and Mr. de Lacy must have retired to the crew's quarters where the men would be sleeping.  Fidelia hoped so.

They crept along the hall and up the stairs to the deck unseen. Hush­ing Lottie's protests, Fidelia pulled her sister into the shadows near the railing and looked around the empty ship. Most of the crew had retired as well, and the few people that remained were on the higher deck. She could faintly hear them laughing and talking about their game of wagers.

"Fidelia, I can't swim. Why can't we stay with Lord Greyville and Mr. de Lacy?"

"Hush, Lottie." Fidelia cut off her sister's whisper with one of her own, pulling Lottie toward one of the dinghies. "We can't trust them."