Chapter 41

I was helped to my feet by Elijah as Klaus held the White Oak to Mikael's chest. I couldn't hear anything but the repeating reminder of what is yet to come. Rip. Rip. Rip. That was the only thing I kept hearing. It kept getting louder...rising over the calamity happening between Klaus, my father, and my siblings. "Brother are you alright?" Elijah asked. "I'm fine." I said as Klaus ran Mikael through. Freya screamed as Elijah sped to her holding her back. I began to fall again before Rebekah caught me. "Are you sure you're alright, brother?" Bekah asked. "I don't know." I said taking a quick breath watching on as father was engulfed by flames burning on the floor. "Although viking ash is quite difficult to procure. All you need...is a burning corpse." Klaus said gesturing to our father. He walked away as the rest of us stared at the corpse.

The Following Day

I sat with Klaus at the dining room table as he sat in a cheerful mood. As for Elijah, Rebekah, and Freya...not so much. Klaus and Elijah spoke to one another while I tried to silence the endlessly repeating word in my mind. "Yes...under different circumstances...the demise of our father would be cause for celebration. However, you killing our father has alienated the one person that knows our enemy and what's to come." Elijah said. "Stiles? What is your take?" Klaus asked looking at me. "I think...if we are to defeat Dahlia...we need to be smart." I said standing up unsteady. I shook my head and looked at my brothers. "Now...if you'll excuse me. I'm gonna go figure out how we might do that." I said walking away. "Brother?" Klaus asked. "Yes Nik?" I asked looking at him. He looked down at my hands. I saw blood trickling down the inside of my palm dripping onto the wood flooring. "Anything you would like to discuss with us?" Elijah asked handing me his handkerchief. I wiped the blood away and relaxed my hands. "Of course not. Why do you ask?" I stated raising a brow. "Oh no particular reason. Just...wondering about your strange behavior after your encounter with Dahlia." Klaus said. "There's nothing to worry about Nik. I'm fine. Got it? If you think that our one fight with Dahlia has gotten to me. You're wrong...as you can see. I am perfectly stable." I said. "No one was questioning your mental stability, Stiles." Elijah said. "No words had to have been to said for me to get the hint." I said squinting my eyes. "I just think if we are to defeat Dahlia...it would be be good to know that we didn't have to worry about a certain someone making an appearance. Especially during the most inopportune moment." Klaus said. "Is that what you two are worried about? Wondering whether or not Jack will make an appearance? Is your trust in my ability to control the monster that waned? If so, I guarantee the both of you are quite wrong." I said. "Are you so sure about that? And what exactly do you call letting the fox within you take control of your mind and body?" Elijah asked. I clenched my jaws. "My point precisely. You are a liability if you don't get your mind together." Elijah said. "A liability?" I asked with wide eyes. "Brother do you have any idea what it is like to have a demon fox inhabiting the very depths of your mind? Answer me. Do you? No you don't. I have lived over a 1000 years having a permanent and eternal bond with the Nogitsune. Don't you think after 10 centuries I would have mastered the abilit of controlling it?" I said getting in Elijah's face as my eyes glowed. "Down boy." Klaus teased with a smirk. I squinted my eyes at him before leaving. Only a matter of time till that door is opened, Stiles. After that...no one...will...be...safe.