Chapter Twenty-Six- Lumpy Scarves and Secret Passageways

Start from the beginning

There had been eight siblings after his mother and they had always been a tight-knit family. No one talked about Peter's father, which is how it had been for almost five years now. Peter knew his little brother didn't even remember him, but his mother allowed Peter to hang onto a single picture of him and write him from time to time.

However, with as large of a family as Peter had, all living fairly nearby, he never had much time to miss his father. After their large Christmas party, which lasted two days and nearly resulted in an arrest after his youngest uncle set a bale of hay on fire, things around the Pettigrew farm calmed down some. Back home, Peter got used to waking up at the crack of dawn but looked forward to when he'd be able to sleep in again.

He was sure to write to all his friends and his mom gave him some money so he could buy them presents. He was particularly proud of his choices and delighted he now had friends to shop for. New Years brought another roaring family party in which one of his uncles did get arrested for riding a horse into town nude. Peter's mother was mortified by her siblings like she always was when they all got together, but he found them all a wonderful lively bunch. He was sure Sirius and James would agree, though his mother had told him that his energetic friends would be watched carefully if they ever came to visit.

"The last thing I need is for my brother Silvester to slip them some alcohol and then their parents would never let them visit again!" she fretted. Peter didn't have the heart to tell her he wasn't sure if his friends would want to come to visit over the summer. His family was wealthy and had lots of property, but both James and Sirius lived in what were practically castles. He couldn't imagine them wanting to come here when they could be at their own homes.

He just hoped they'd invite him if they were going to get together.

All too soon his break was over and he was being coddled and smothered by his mother back at the train station. He had to promise her he'd write every week just to get her to let go.

"Yes, for real this time. I promise, mum!"

He held up the small elf owl his grandma got him for Christmas, which could fit in his hand. He had no excuse not to write now and while he thought that might be a bit annoying (not many first years but James wrote their parents every week) it was worth it to have an owl. Even Sirius and James didn't have one!

"Don't leave, Petey! Don't leave!" His brother was wailing and Peter wished his mother had left him home, he was crying so loudly!

"Don't cry, Cooper. I'll be home before you know it."

He hugged his brother, then the train whistle was signaling they'd be leaving soon. After putting up with several more hugs he rushed off, clutching the small owl cage tightly.

If possible James seemed to have had a better Christmas Break than he had. They were all gathered in their compartment and the whole ride back James recounted his many presents, the feasts, his seeing the Wicked Witches live in concert, and above all getting to meet one of his favorite quidditch teams in person.

"You really got to meet the Holyhead Harpies? Blimey mate, that's fantastic!" Sirius exclaimed, having been unusually pale and quiet most of the ride back. The closer they got to the castle the more he seemed to come to life, and soon James and Sirius were arguing over which Quidditch team was the best and Peter could hardly get two words in.

"Oh well," he thought, turning back to stare out the window. He was sure Remus would like to hear about his Christmas at least.

Soon they were back at the castle, this time taking a carriage pulled by nothing to reach it. Peter wished they would take the boats back but apparently, that was only for the first time you arrived at Hogwarts and the last day you left. During the invisibly-pulled carriage ride back, James and Sirius calmed down enough that he could at least begin to recount his holidays.