12

I watched as the suitcases travelled in circles on the conveyor belt, every now and then newer ones being added. It felt like mine was last, I had been waiting for almost half an hour. Finally, I spot mine, the one with a red ribbon tied on the handle. I got closer, stooping as I lifted my luggage onto its feet. I let go of it, slapping the imaginary dust off of my hands, and proceeded to exit to arrivals, where my mother waited for me.

It was burning outside, a hot summer day, the sun rays made me feel like I was melting. Luckily indoors, the air conditioner was on. I waited patiently, before locking eyes with my mother. We headed towards each other, wrapping arms around one another. 

Crow's feet appeared on each one of her eyes, her lips spread wide, showing a bright toothy smile. 

"Welcome home. How was it in the UK?" She asked as she took the suitcase for me. On the way to the parking lot, I explained most of it, I hid the part where I got together with Sam from her. I believed it was too soon. 

She unlocked the car, I lifted the luggage in the trunk for her, and jogged to the passenger seat. 

"Are you ready for college? It starts in August."

My smile dropped. I wasn't excited for college, I still wanted to stay young. I felt nervous just thinking about it, leaving to another city, far from here, to study. I'll be sharing a room with a few people, some of which I haven't even met yet. Luckily, one of my friends will be joining me. 

"I guess." I shrugged, and pulled out my phone. I spotted a text, coming from Sam, and I tilted the phone, so my mom couldn't see it.

Sam: Hey darling, just a reminder to text me when you're home. Have a safe flight x (9:27 am)

I smiled to myself. I felt my heart flutter, and my cheeks turning red. I still couldn't process he agreed to doing this. 

Me: I've made it home :) Now time to prepare for college (11:43am)

Sam: Haha me too. Where did you say you were going to study? (11:43am)

Me: I didn't tell you. In the UK (11:44am)

Sam: That's so nice. Me too (11:44am)

I now felt like I haven't seen him in years. And that may happen in the future. And I will have to prepare myself for it. But it will be ok. In college, I'll be closer to him. By a little. 

- - -

I unpacked everything, throwing my body onto my bed. I missed this bed. I finally got home. Despite the trip not being long, most of the time I felt homesick. 

And I'm not sure why, if there's nothing to do here at home.

My older siblings, are in the United States, studying in some college. We weren't too close, ever since they left, to start a life of their own, I lost contact.

The rest of this summer, I will be spending, preparing for college. 

- - -

Short update! Hope you all had a good week. I can't believe we're so close to 1k reads. Thank you for reading! Love you~