The Ivy League Part 26

Start from the beginning

“Anyways, you think you know Ellen, but you don’t. Not really.” He stares moodily out one of the bay windows, one long-fingered hand ruffling his hair.

“I met Leah when we went to the same private school, before I came here. Ellen used to go to that private school, too. Ellen and I were in the same grade, but Leah was in the one below me. I liked Leah from the first time I met her. She’s a lot like you, actually,” Jake told me ruefully, and I was forcefully reminded of my uncle’s words, telling me that his love, Leslie Mitchell, had been a lot like me…

“Leah was funny, sweet, lots of fun to be with. She was the type of person to bring you up instead of bring you down; every boyfriend’s dream, right?” Jake looked a bit bitter. “Either way, she was the complete opposite of Ellen. She still has a reputation back at that school, even though it’s just Leah there now. Anyways, Leah and I started going out when I was in eighth grade and she was in seventh. Ellen and I never got along. We would always argue and fight and scream, but in the end, we’d always be friends again. I don’t know why. I’ve tried hating Ellen, I’ve tried ignoring her. But she doesn’t make friends easily, and Leah and I were the only ones that she ever let close to herself. She would fight and offend and manipulate people time and time again, only to end up alone. And it would be Leah and me, helping her and being there for her. And I discovered she’s not that bad. She can be caring, too. She’s funny and charismatic. It’s crazy to like her, but I’ve always been the only one to see past the cold exterior and see the girl she is inside.”

What the fudge cake? Jake continued on, oblivious to my shock.

“So the summer after grade eight, my parents told me that I was going to go to the private school after my friends and I went for a joyride.” Jake grinned, remembering. “Leah got angry at me for doing something so stupid, but Ellen laughed and was on my side. Things had been shaky between me and Leah for a few months by then, because Ellen and I would always agree on the same things, leaving Leah to defend herself. I guess that was a jerk thing for me to do, but I couldn’t help that Ellen and I saw things the same way. Then, a week before grade nine started for me and Ellen, she came to me and told me that her parents were allowing her to transfer to Thornwell Private Academy with me, instead of returning to the public school that Leah was going to. And I guess that piece of news kind of set it off. Leah and I had a huge fight. We didn’t break up, but Leah was really angry at me that Ellen and I were going off together, leaving her alone. She refused to come to the private school with us, and that kind of made me angry. I mean, if she was jealous of her sister, then she should just come along instead of whining about how Ellen and I are always together.

“I was wrong to tell her that, I see that now,” Jake said sheepishly. “But both of us overreacted, and so we weren’t talking to each other the weekend before school started. There was this pool party that my older brother threw for his college buddies, and Ellen and I invited some of our friends, too. Ellen got really drunk,” he admitted, and my mind flashed back to the video I saw. “And some bastard started taking advantage of her. And then it hit me. I knew,” Jake said quietly, looking out the window again. He had a sad look in his eyes.

“I knew that I wanted to protect Ellen. That I was the only guy she had ever really cared for and that I was the only one who really understood her. I’ve practically grown up with her and we were friends before I even met Leah. Sure, we argued and fought, but who doesn’t Ellen fight with? We always made up, and I don’t know… that day I guess I just realized a lot for myself. Growing up, something happened to Ellen. I swore not to tell anyone, and just because we’re not talking anymore doesn’t mean I’ll break my promise to her. But what happened has made Ellen into the cold manipulative and spiteful person she is today. It seems like I’m the only one who can forgive her for being that way. And I realized that I loved her.”