Chapter 21: Because of You

Hazel's POV

When I saw the ring, I immediately knew that the diamond was from the pendant in the necklace that he gave me years ago.

I hate him for making me cry. As the sun was about to set he said all this words to me that just echoed in my mind.

Everything went blury when the tears in my eyes built up. Of course, I said yes. For fourteen years, we never realized that we liked each other and now he proposed to me.

I'm really touched that he remembered that this was my dream proposal, the perfect sunset. I love him so much, and I want to spend the rest of my life with him.

I want him to be my bestfriend, my husband, and the father to my future children.

**
When we got to their house, lola was there and also Nanay Helen. Even our highschool classmates were there, "Congratulations, to the future bride and groom." they said.

We ate and just talked about our memories together when we were still in highschool. Then, I noticed Luke talking on the phone outside. I went outside to ask him who it was, but when he looked at me, I instantly knew who it was.

"Hazel, it's ok. I told her that I'm not going." sabi niya. "Why not? Luke, she's still our bestfriend, it's alright, I don't mind at all because I trust you." I said.

He hugged me so tightly, and I could just feel his tears in my shoulder. I love this man right here and I want to be the woman who walks down the aisle and see him waiting for me to marry him.

"I'll tell you everything that'll happen once I get back." sabi niya. "Wag na, I don't need to know every single thing that will happen because I know that you love me, and I love you." sagot ko.

Luke's POV

When I got to Naomi's room, she was laying in the bed and she looked at me. "Luke, the doctor said that I only have a few hours left at nanghihina na ako, gusto ko ng sumuko but I still want to be with you before I die." she said.

I'm so disgusted with how she doesn't even feel bad for lying to my face and pretending all this time about her condition.

I threw the evidence of her lies in front of her. "What's this?" tanong niya. "Read it." sagot ko. She picked up a paper and read it, abd I could see how she was furious about it.

"Are you saying that my condition is fake? Luke, you saw the doctor and the results, the treatment." she exlaimed. "Yeah, and you even made your parents lie for you, how despicable!" sigaw ko.

"No, no, Luke. Please listen to me, I'm not lying. Don't do this to me!" sabi niya. She stood up and tried to stop me from leaving, I pushed her causing her to fall down.

"Because of you, Hazel and I's friendship was ruined, because of you, I couldn't tell her how I felt all this years! Ikaw ang dahilab kung bakit lagi kaming hindi nagkakatuluyan ni Hazel, dahil sayo nagkahiwalay kami, dahil sayo nasira kami!" I said. She was crying but I didn't feel even a single pity for her.

I was mad and I couldn't forgive her for what she did. I know that she did it because she wanted me to pity her and choose her over Hazel but those days of manupilating me, are over!

I went to the car and drove off. I want to come home and talk to Hazel, when I think of her, I calm down.

Just when I was about to start the car, Naomi came running in her hospital gown. She blocked the car so I couldn't move.

Bumaba ako at pinuntahan ko siya, "Please don't leave me, Luke." sabi niya. "Naomi, maawa ka sa sarili mo. Marami pang lalaking darating sa buhay mo at mamahalin ka." sabi ko.

She hugged me, "Ikaw lang ang gusto ko." she said. Inalis ko yung pagkakayakap niya sa akin, "Stop it, Naomi. I forgive you for what you did, so please don't do anything stupid anymore." tapos umalis na ako.

**
9 o'clock na pala, pagdating ko sa bahay, nakita ko si Hazel na nakaupo sa sofa. Nung pinuntahan ko siya, nakatulog yata dahil sa pagod.

Hinawi ko yung buhok niya na nakaharang sa mukha niya, tapos hinalikan ko siya. "Nakauwi ka na pala, kumain ka na ba?" tanong niya.

Umupo ako sa tabi niya at nagtanggal ng sapatos."Hindi pa, parang ayoko na kumain." sagot ko. "You shouldn't skip meals, Mr. Clarke." sabi niya.

"Dito ka ba matutulog?" tanong ko sa kanya. Habang niyayakap siya. "Luke, may ginagawa ako eh." sabi niya. Nag-labas siya ng plate, spoon, and fork.

"Ayan pinaghainan na kita, kailangan ko ng umuwi, may trabaho pa ako bukas." sabi niya.