Chapter Three

Third Person POV

"Would you rather eat moldy eggs or drink spoiled milk?"

Daniel's nose wrinkles at the question, looking at the clouds as he contemplates his answer. "Moldy eggs."

"Ew, why?"

"So you're telling me you'd drink spoiled milk?" Daniel laughs, an eyebrow raised as Justin shrugs, small beads of sweat rolling down his caramel-colored skin.

The two pause, happily sitting in a comfortable silence as a soft breeze blows. The breeze is always Daniel's favorite part of eating outside—that and the quiet air.

"Remember in sixth grade when Elijah threw his brownie at Cassidy and a food war started?"

Daniel laughs, nodding his head with a fond smile as he reminisces on the memory. "Yeah, it's been four years I still can't believe that we ended up being the ones cleaning the mess. Mr. Joe thought it was us, so he gave us detention and you cried."

"I did not cry! You cried!" Justin crosses his arms over his chest stubbornly, lips curled in a frown as his almost-black eyes glare into my own.

"Time flies. Can you believe we only have two years left of high school?" Daniel sighs contentedly, leaning back in the rusted seat of the picnic table.

Justin smiles at Daniel before sighing as well. They sit in silence for a few moments, both enjoying the other's company.

"By the way, do you know anyone named Nathan Lewis?" Daniel asks, his mind still on the awkward encounter from that morning.

Justin perks an eyebrow. "Sounds familiar, but I don't think so. Why do you ask?"

Daniel shakes his head before the bell rings loudly in the distance, announcing the end of their lunch period.

-

--

Daniel somehow manages to survive the day, finally arriving at Mr. Ortez's class with a relieved sigh. He gazes at the unfamiliar words on the board, his spirit falling slightly as he realizes that he still doesn't recognize any of them. Luis spots him from his seat, pulling his favorite pencil from the front pocket of his backpack, and waving to Daniel with a curious expression.

"What are you so happy about?" Luis asks, a smile of his own spreading across his lips as Daniel places his backpack on his chair, pulling his laptop out.

Daniel falters, now aware of the goofy smile on his face as he takes his seat. "Just happy the day's almost over. Excited to go home," he explains half-heartedly, Luis leveling him with a skeptical look.

"So am I, but you don't see me smiling like that," he gestures towards Daniel's still-present grin.

Daniel shakes his head, pulling his notebook out of his backpack. "Uh... soccer practice was canceled, so I'm ready to just go home and sleep."

Luis stares for a moment before nodding. His eyes light up with excitement as he looks around the classroom before snapping his gaze back to Daniel and changing the topic. "Well, anyway," Luis starts, a smirk on his face as he leans in closer to Daniel, "guess what I heard." He continues when Daniel shrugs his shoulders. "Some junior got suspended!"

Daniel raises an eyebrow, his curiosity peaking. "What'd they get suspended for?"

"He got in a fight with someone from Rowan Academy!" Daniel's frown deepens when he remembers the type of people who attend the infamous Rowan Academy.

As a freshman, Daniel hated going to the private school. Most of the students were snobs who threw their money in people's faces whenever they got the chance and Daniel couldn't stand it. He was notorious for standing up for someone when they were bullied for being "below" them—he hated bullying with every fiber of his being and did everything he could to help his peers. All in all, Daniel can safely say that he's glad he transferred in time for his sophomore year.