chapter twelve

"...and I'm just so excited!" I internally curse as I hear Nicola go on and on about some random shit in her life, acting as if everything was fine while all I wanted to do is strangle her.

I feel Nicola's gaze turn to me. "Okay, um, you're oddly quiet.." she teases me.

"Did something happen?" She continues when I don't respond.

Yeah, you became a psychotic freak!

"Nicola, can I ask you something?" I suddenly asked. I tried waiting but I simply couldn't. I need answer. Now.

"Anything," She grins.

It's unbelievable really. How she can act like this after what she did.

"Why did you do it?" I ask her quietly.

"Do what?" She asks me, blinking innocently.

"You know what." I give her a sharp and pointed look, conforming that I did indeed know about what she did.

"How do you know?" She asks sharply, pulling me to the side.

"She told me! I mean you're crazy, how could you!"

"You just don't understand okay? Your life is literally perfect!"

Is she serious right now?

"So? What does that have to do with Clara, Nicola? She's your best friend! You're supposed to be there for her when she's in trouble. Not be the reason she is," I tell Nicola.

"What about me huh? What about when I'm hurting? Does that not matter?" Nicola suddenly states.

"We're always there for you when you're hurt and you know that," I tell her.

"Really?" She spits, coldly. "When? When was the last time you asked if I was okay, Blair? Or the last time you checked up on wether things were okay back at home. It's always been me checking up on the two of you. Remember Toby?"

Of course I remember Toby. Nicola met him during summer and they had a thing.

"What does that have to do with anything?!"

"God you are so ignorant it's unbelievable, Blair! He's dead. Fucking dead. I would have thought that after coming back from summer break you would have at least asked me how my relationship was going or if we were still a thing. But you didn't even fucking do that, did you?" She spits harshly at me.

She's right, my conscious tells me.

Wow. I really am the worst friend possible. I look up to say something— anything, I desperately looked for some time of explanation for why I didn't ask her, but I can't. Because I know she's right.

I look down, disappointed at my self once again.

"And then there's the fact that as soon as I get back, I hear news that could tear my family apart." She continues.

"So yes, it was wrong of me to do so and yes, I've been a terrible friend ever since but you know what? Even through all of this I've stuck by you, hell I even came to your house in the middle of the night to make sure you were okay."