Chapter Eleven

The gravel crunched underneath their feet as they approached the crumbling, four-story building. The sun was high in the sky, hidden behind layers of clouds and smog, making the whole day seem grey. Dry vines crept up mossy walls and paint peeled off of doors and window frames. The island was blocked by thick foliage, offering cover and the illusion of solitude.

Alec glanced warily to the seraph blade in the dirt a few feet away. His concerned look intensified when Jace strolled over to it and picked it up casually, slipping it into his empty holster. He glanced back when he noticed Alec had stilled and raised a careless eyebrow.

"Why?" Was all Alec could bring himself to say. There were a few other things bouncing around his mind. What the hell is wrong with you? was one of them. You don't know where that's been was another.

"They're not using it," Jace stated with a shrug as he smirked. He turned back to the building ahead of them, effectively ending the conversation. Alec sighed before walking after him. They had both missed just being together, alone. They had barely gotten that since Clary arrived.

Jace slowed to a stop just in front of the building, glancing up at it once again. Alec followed suit and they both squinted into the light. "What are we expecting?" Alec asked as they sized up the property. All he knew about their last mission to Renwick's were bits and pieces from the three that were there. It wasn't exactly a Clave-sanctioned thing that he could have looked up the reports for.

"Well, last time I was here, there was a swarm of demons. There wasn't much to get through. Clary also had the Cup, though," Jace shared. He pursed his lips, glancing over to Alec.

The man had furrowed his brow, lips tilting into a frown. "I almost forgot it could do that," he breathed. Jace couldn't help but gulp as his mind returned to what Andy had told them about the Mortal Cup and the legends that went with it.

A heavy sigh escaped him, holding down his shoulders. He looked back to the building before starting forward, expecting Alec to follow. "How exactly would we fight an army of demons and enslaved Shadowhunters?" He said under his breath, feeling as though it was safe to discuss there.

"You're starting to sound like her," Alec commented with a smirk as he followed Jace up the creaky porch. He slipped his bow off of his arm and pulled an arrow from the quiver against his back, readying himself for a fight.

Jace scoffed at him. No part of him wanted to accept their similarities with how she had been acting up recently. It was a short lasted annoyance, one cast to the side as his skin pricked. He could still hear her unfamiliar squalls. It rang through his mind and set him to straighten. "That's why we're here, isn't it?"

Alec gave him a brisk nod as he stepped ahead of him. He notched the arrow that had been resting on the string and peered into the doorway, scoping out the dark hall that unfolded before them. He'd let Jace lead the way, but he wanted to make sure they were covered before entering. The entryway split off to the left and Alec turned the tip of his arrow towards the shadows as his boots met the neglected hardwood. His gaze narrowed and he let it fly. A screech reached them before it was swept away like smoke.

"Nice one," Jace complimented as he slipped past him, heading for the main hall. Alec thanked him, impressed with himself as well. He hadn't even been able to tell what species it was, let alone where its weak points would be.

The blond pulled out his new blade and muttered a few common minor angel's names until it finally activated. The pair used its steady light to illuminate their path. As they walked, Alec wondered if it was worth trying to get answers out of him again. He was interrupted when his parabatai waved him forward and pointed out a shadow hanging at the edge of the room, where the walls split off and began their maze throughout the hospital.