15: Ulysses

"I think you would like this book." The woman pushed it towards you. The book itself was worn, fitting in with its surroundings easily.

"It's a good book-- Ulysses by James Joyce-- but I have already partaken in it. A 'modern' version of Odysseus. Multiple people on multiple adventures." You sighed. "So I take it word has gotten around to the villages that some crazy woman is on a journey?"

"Let me say it better." She held a hand up to stop you. "I was told that you would like this book. Please, take it. There's no more that I have to say about it. I wish you best of luck on your journey and may it be at an end soon."

With another smaller sigh, you took the book and departed the store-- not even bothering to stop and enjoy the candy.

"Lawliet." You looked at the sky and said quietly in English. "I swear if this is just another clue to send me on another trip to another far away place..."

Your eyes teared up, the situation becoming overwhelming.

"I might just go home." You concluded while wiping your eyes.

There was no way you were going to read this book. It was outrageously long at eighteen separate "episodes" that were in themselves short stories.

"I'm tired." You said as you sat down at an empty stairway. "I'm so tired and I feel like I'm so close and so far at the same time. If it's a code, or a puzzle or anything besides 'turn around', I swear that's it."

You were threatening no one, of course, as there was no one to hear you speaking English in this tiny Peruvian town.

As you flipped through the pages quickly, nothing stood out. There wasn't even a note on the last page. So you closed the book.

"Nothing is ever easy." You whispered. "I know I said I wouldn't read it, but at this point, I'm so bored that it's just for something to do before I figure out how to go home..."

Opening to the title page, your eyes grew wide.

I know you're probably at your wit's end. So you don't need to go any further than this. Please come to the address written below.

I miss you.

I ❤️ U.

Lawliet

And indeed, below was scribbled an address.

One deep breath and you stood up.

"To Paracas, Ica, Peru."

And with the very last bit of strength and hope you had, you completed what you hoped was the last episode of your own personal adventure.