7: Edgar Allen Poe

You finished breakfast and sat at the table alone, tossing the extra biscuit in the refrigerator. 

"I'll call... Mello." You sighed. "See what he's up to. See how he's feeling."

You were quick to dial the orphanage's number.

"Can I speak to Mello?" You requested.

"Is this YN?" The man in charge, you presumed, inquired.

"...Yes." You narrowed your eyes.

"Are you to be coming back soon? Or should I arrange something for you?"

This threw you off. You expected something more like "please return back in one week" or "our condolences, the funeral is in four days".

"Are... What are they doing with... Um..." You stumbled over your words, uncharacteristically. "Wammy and Lawliet. What will happen to them?"

"We will hold a memorial for them here. You are most welcome to come."

"What about the apartment here?" You asked, hesitantly.

"What about it? Would you like to stay? You would only need to begin working for us in some capacity. I read in your file that your work as a translator is phenomenal, especially with ancient texts and with decoding encrypted texts." His voice was kind and it was soothing your worries. It was not surprising to you that Wammy had chosen this man as his successor.

"I would like to stay for a bit... You may send over any work that is necessary. When is the memorial?"

"Two months." He relayed.

"That seems like an awfully long time..." You noted. "Are customs giving you problems? I am in the country, I could speak to them."

"Customs? We are not transporting anything. It is just a time for everyone to gather and pay their respects to their memories. We wanted to give everyone adequate notice. Would you like me to fetch Mello for you? He is quite upset at the news. Perhaps hearing from you would help. I gather that you were Lawliet's partner?"

"What about their bodies?!" You asked suddenly. "Where are they!?"

"We're not quite sure. With the loss of Lawliet and Wammy, we lost our connections to the Japanese Task Force and the police as a whole. And with Kira clearly able to dispatch them, we were not going to risk any further involvement just yet." He admitted to your gasp.

"So... they're just going to be... thrown away?" You sunk to the floor.

"Let me retrieve Mello. I feel it will be beneficial for you both to speak in these hard times." And with a click, you were on hold.

Where in the hell were the bodies?! Obviously they had died at work. Someone had to have their bodies. But then again... If they were murdered, it would be very likely that a murderer would hide the bodies...

"Stupid. That's completely out of Kira's M.O." You mumbled. "Stop it. This isn't one of Poe's stories."

"What was that?" Mello asked as he picked up the phone.

"Nothing, nothing. How are you holding up, Mel?" You asked, lightly.

"Me?! I'm okay but compared to you I must be fan-fucking-tastic!"

"Hey!" You scolded him.

"I'm not sorry! That was L! Your L!" He raised his voice. "And Kira killed him! Aren't you angry?! Aren't you--"

"I'm devastated." You spoke quietly but firmly. "But I just... I don't believe he's gone."

"I know it's hard to accept--"

"No, I really don't believe he's gone, Mel." You explained. "He left me a little note that said I heart you that morning and I don't know I just have a feeling."

"...A feeling?... I don't know... I kind of get you being really out of whack about what happened but I mean we all got the message. And you know L would have come right back to you."

You deflated.

"I guess..."