8: Emergence and Education

Speaking of Edgar Allen Poe, however, you decided there wasn't much you could do until you either got a break in your personal case or until the memorial. So you were going to read.

"Oh God! what could I do? I foamed --I raved --I swore! I swung the chair upon which I had been sitting, and grated it upon the boards, but the noise arose over all and continually increased. It grew louder --louder --louder! And still the men chatted pleasantly, and smiled. Was it possible they heard not? Almighty God! --no, no!" You read out loud to yourself. It was much easier to get into the groove this way. "They heard! --they suspected! --they knew! --they were making a mockery of my horror!-this I thought, and this I think. But anything was better than this agony! Anything was more tolerable than this derision! I could bear those hypocritical smiles no longer! I felt that I must scream or die! and now --again! --hark! louder! louder! louder! louder! 'Villains!' I shrieked, 'dissemble no more! I admit the deed! --tear up the planks! here, here! --It is the beating of his hideous heart'."

"Hideous... Heart..." You looked at the paper that was in your hand. "Edgar Allen Poe... A gift from Lawliet..."

With a gasp you stood up. A clue had emerged.

Whipping out your phone, you pulled up the pictured of how the paper had been positioned and you precariously set it right back in place.

"Okay Law, now if I'm interpreting this correctly, and you want me to overlay The Telltale Heart onto this little heart, that means that the heart indicates something is buried in this house. Now think... think... think..." You closed your eyes. "Is it pointing? Is it beneath the counter? Is it beneath the building? I need to go about this rationally like you would have..."

You took a few deep breaths.

"Tear up the planks!" You shouted. "It's beneath the floorboards! It has to be! Whatever he wants me to find! 90% probability that the heart is pointing to the row I should tear up."

You figured it would be worth the cost to have them repaired later.

Anything would be worth the cost of finding Lawliet.

But currently, you needed to leave and acquire a crowbar to pry the floorboards from your kitchen/dining room area. And maybe a speaker that was loud enough to cover the noise of you doing that.

Picking up the piece of paper, you kissed it lightly and tucked it back in your pocket.

"I'm coming for you, Law. I will never leave you behind. I won't stop until we're together again." You vowed. "Even if you've made it so very difficult for me."

And with that, you shut the door behind you and left for the construction store a few blocks away.