Closer (Part 48)- winter smoke

ابدأ من البداية

"No," I laugh darkly, shaking my head. "He didn't make me do anything. You don't even know the guy. I would understand if you were mad that I got on a motorcycle due to my safety. But, all you actually care about is your reputation!".

"You're not going to Julliard," she suddenly says while ignoring all of my points.

"Wh-What?" I feel myself stutter, taken aback by the statement.

"Or anywhere for that matter. Your father and I will cut you off if you don't stop this atrocious behavior," she screams. I feel the tears well up in my eyes but I blink fast to push them back. She seems satisfied by my shock and doesn't hesitate to go on. "I would think about my actions if I were you," she sneers.

Then, it hits me.

She would never have the courage to cut me off or cause a big scene. You know why? Because of the most important thing to her. Reputation. She wouldn't want anyone finding out.

"No, no. Mom, you're right," I start, nodding my head with a smirk. "You should cut me off. Please do. I'll be fine. But, will you? Will you be fine when everyone finds out? This isn't a big town. People talk. I think your reputation will be more tarnished by that than me going on a stupid motorcycle or me having a new relationship," I snap back at her.

Her mouth traps shut and I see the bulged eyes pop out again. The vein on her neck is seconds away from bursting.

"Just test me and see what happens," she threatens before her phone rings and she storms out of the kitchen.

Normally, I would be crushed by her behavior and her constant need of other people's approval before even putting her daughter first. Today, however, I wasn't. She was never going to change and be the mother I needed her to be.

—————-

Vinny answers the door once I get to their house. He gives me a quick and distracted hey as he walks to the dining table to pick something up.

I feel goosebumps run up my spine as I notice the gun in his hand. He has it aimed towards the ceiling while he uses the other hand to push up his button up and shove the gun in the waistband of his pants.

"What's the gun for?" I stutter.

Vinny turns around after he has it properly adjusted and I realized he's forgotten that I was there. He seems so lost in his thoughts. He gives me a sympathetic smile.

"I have a meeting," he shrugs as if it were normal that he would have to bring a gun. "Always gotta be prepared. Stay safe, you know"

"Doesn't sound safe if you have to bring a gun," I snort, crossing my arms.

"Well, you're right. It's not safe. But it's protocol," he answers.

"Do you use it a lot?" I hear myself asking and I immediately regret it. Vinny purses his lips with a troubled expression. "I'm sorry that was too much to ask," I say quickly.

"I've had to use it, yeah. I really hope they don't give me a reason to today," he replies.

A short silence falls between us before he grabs a duffle bag in the corner of the room. "Jays in the back yard. I'll be back later so enjoy the place to yourselves," he says. I catch his wink at the end which makes me flush deeply as he leaves the house.