xlvii. CHAPTER FORTY-THREE

~*~
warning: mature language,
violence,
some depressing shiz :(

     The group of six stood behind Mary's car, Max looking through the binoculars as they were spying on Billy. 

     "I don't know. He looks pretty normal to me," Max said, shrugging lightly. 

     "Normal? How many times have you seen him with a shirt on?" Lucas asked like Max was insane. 

     "I mean, it's a little weird" Max said. 

     "No, he's right. Billy never wears a shirt, or a towel over his legs, and he doesn't use that umbrella ever," Mary said, arms crossed. They all looked at her, the girl holding up her arms in defense. "What? He's my boyfriend." 

     "He was in a tub with ice. The Mind Flayer likes it cold," Mike explained. "Plus everything else." 

     "But he's lounging at the pool, which is, like, the least Mind Flayer thing ever," Max said, trying to deny the fact that her brother was getting taken over by this thing. 

     "Not necessarily," Will said, all of them looking to him. "The Mind Flayer likes to hide. He only used me when he needed me. It's like... like you're dormant. And then, when he needs you, you're activated." 

     "Okay, so we just wait until he gets activated," Max said like it was that simple. 

     "No. What if he hurts someone?" Mike asked. 

     "Or kills someone," Will added. 

     "We can't take that chance," Mike said. 

     "No, Billy wouldn't..." Mary shook her head, arms crossed as she looked back to him again. 

     "We need to find out if he's the host," Mike said. He pushed off the car, beginning to walk towards the pool. 

     "Where are you going?" Eleven asked. 

     "I have an idea. Boys only," Mike called to her. 

     "Seriously?" Max asked. 

     "Just trust me on this one," Mike said loudly. 

     "Unbelievable," Mary mumbled. 

     "What are we going to do if it's him, Mary?" Max asked. Mary looked down at her, not really knowing the answer. 

     "We get it out of him," Mary shrugged. "Sam way we got it out of Will." Max just nodded, the three waiting for the boys to get back. Once they did, they explained their plan and began to set up. Mike, Lucas, Will, and Eleven all went to set up Mary and Max staying at the car to make sure nothing happened. 

     "Hey, Mary?" Max asked. 

     "Yeah?" she asked, raising an eyebrow at Max. 

     "If this thing really is inside Billy, and we can't get it out... What are we going to do?" Max asked. Mary looked down to her feet, not wanting to have thought about that. She never wanted to think that far ahead. 

     "If the time comes, we'll deal with it," Mary said, trying not to think about it. Max just nodded, picking up the walkie-talkie.

     "Mike, are you there?" she asked. 

     "Yeah!" he answered. 

     "Where are you guys?" Max asked. 

     "I'm coming. Just hold on a second," Mike said quickly. Max put down the walkie-talkie, looking through the binoculars again.