xiv. CHAPTER TWELVE

~*~

     The group of five began to walk back to where Mary parked Steve's car, trying to think about where all of the demo-dogs could've gone. Mary had a firm grip of Steve's hand as she needed to be a bit reassured that they made it out of that one alive. 

     "You're positive that was Dart?" Lucas asked. 

     "Yes," Dustin answered him harshly. "He had the exact same yellow pattern on his butt." 

     "He was tiny two days ago," Max inquired. 

     "Well, he's molted three times already," Dustin said effortlessly. 

     "Malted?" Steve questioned. 

     "Molted. Shed his skin to make room for growth like hornworms," Dustin informed him. 

     "When's he gonna molt again?" Mary asked, shining her flashlight ahead. 

     "It's gotta be soon. When he does, he'll be fully grown, or close to it," Dustin continued on. "And so will his friends." 

     "Yeah, and he's gonna eat a lot more than just cats," Steve added. 

     "Wait, a cat?" Lucas asked, stopping Dustin in his tracks. "Dart ate a cat?" 

     "No, what? No," Dustin said quickly. 

     "What are you talking about? He ate Mews," Mary stated. 

     "Mews? Who's Mews?" Max asked confused. 

     "It's our cat," Mary shrugged. 

     "Mary!" Dustin shouted. 

     "I knew it! You kept him!" Lucas shouted, shoving Dustin lightly.

     "No!" Dustin protested. "No. No, I-No, I- He missed me. He wanted to come home." 

     "Bullshit," Lucas snapped. 

     "I didn't know he was a Demogorgon, okay?" 

     "Oh, so now you admit it?" Lucas asked angrily. 

     "Guys, who cares? We have to go," Max interrupted them. 

     "I care! You put the party in jeopardy! You broke the rule of law!" Lucas yelled at Dustin. 

     "So did you!" Dustin yelled back. Steve rolled his eyes, Mary letting her head drop in frustration. 

     "What?" Lucas asked confused. 

     "You told a stranger the truth!" Dustin said, pointing his flashlight at Max. 

     "A stranger?" Max asked with a scoff. 

     "You wanted to tell her, too!" Lucas yelled. 

     "But I didn't, Lucas, okay? I didn't tell her! We both broke the rule of law, okay? So we're even. We're even," Dustin argued in anger. 

     "No, no! We're not even," Lucas protested. "Don't even try that. Your stupid pet could have ate us for dinner!" Mary watched as Steve took small steps forward, light flashing into the darkness. 

     "That was not my fault!" Dustin argued. 

     "Hey, guys?" Steve asked. 

     "He wasn't gonna eat us," Dustin continued. 

     "Oh, so he was just trying to some say hello?" Lucas asked. 

     "Guys!" Steve yelled at them. They all looked to him, Steve turning his head to the sound. Mary began to follow him, the kids following close behind.