xxxi. CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

don't play song until told to
~*~

     Hawkins High School was known for it renowned basketball team, and they were competing for the state title the year of 1985. Which meant they needed a team of kids who were not only good at the sport, but also had good sportsmanship. At first, the coach was going to cut Billy because of his temper, but Billy calmed down since he started dating Mary. So he made the team. So did Steve, and sadly, so did Alex. 

     Mary was on her way to the first game of districts, music playing quietly over the car speakers. She parked in the school parking lot with ease, beginning to walk inside to the gym. The parking lot was nearly full for the first game, which meant there would be a lot of people there. She was walking peacefully when a hand grabbed her by the back of the neck and slammed her into the back of a car. She gasped out in pain, eyes connecting with none other that Eliot Gold, Alex's father. 

     "Eliot," Mary breathed out, eyes wide now. 

     "I hear your boyfriend has been giving my son trouble," Eliot began, his elbow just under Mary's neck to keep her pressed against the car. "Here's what you're going to do. You're going to walk into that gym, you're going to find that boy, and you're going to end it with him. Yeah? Or I'll do something you don't want me to do." 

     "How do you know I won't tell Hop?" Mary said, her voice strained from the elbow pressed against her throat. 

     "If you tell Hop, I will kill everyone you love. And I'll get away with it, too," Eliot said with a small nod. "I'll start with your sweet mother. Then your little brother and his friends, the Wheeler girl, the Byers boy. That leaves two people you got left: Harrington and your little toy. I'll kill Steven first, let him know there's no hard feelings. Right when you think you couldn't possibly lose everything, you will. I'll kill Hargrove, I will. That's when you'll have nothing left, Mary." Eliot took his elbow down from Mary's neck, the girl gasping for breath and clutching her neck. "Have a nice night, Miss Henderson. Do send my regards to the team." He turned and walked to his own car, the tears immediately falling from her eyes. She slid down the back of the car, head falling into her hands as she cried uncontrollably. 

     She could hear the cheers from inside the gym, and the announcer. Her head slowly turned that way as she feared stepping through the double doors. She cried out again, head falling into her knee's this time. She heard the doors opening, heard turning to see Eliot walking into the gym. Her heart pounded as she finally pushed herself off the ground, legs wobbling from how weak she felt. 

     Her feet carried her through the parking lot, and it felt like she wasn't even herself anymore. The air felt thin, and her entire body was numb. The crowd was going wild for something, and Mary barely cared about what it was. She immediately turned to the bathroom, pushing through the door and going to the mirror. She checked her neck to make sure there wasn't bruising, tears brimming her eyes as she saw how disheveled she look. She wiped her eyes, deciding she looked good enough to go out to the game. 

     Once again, the world began to pound again. She could feel her heart beat in her ears, and her breath caught in her throat with each step she took. There was only white noise around her, as she approached the doors that led to the gym. She stared through the window for a moment as she could see Billy inside, her heart twisting in pain as she knew what she had to do. 

     In one swift motion, she pushed open the door and stepped inside. The cheers became clear as she heard all the students chanting the school's mascot. It was just before the second quarter, which meant Mary had probably stayed on the ground outside longer than she thought. Her feet carried her to the bleachers, but she didn't have the energy to actually walk up the steps and sit. She felt like nothing.