Chapter 12: The Decree

Start from the beginning

The murmur died quickly.

"You will be required to prove your Collector status." Taisho finished. "I expect you all to return with your documents before this time next month. Those without any magical blood may leave without issue. There is no reason for you to remain here. You are dismissed."

The midday meal must have been a stale affair. The next shift of maids was full of tear-stained faces and Takumi waited nervously for Tomomi to return.

All the maids wore the same mint green and white robes, most only looking at their work or the floor. When she did arrive, her dark eyes were reddened and puffy from crying. Her painted lip was a little smeared, the evidence of her deep weeping left smudged on her sleeve.

"Tomomi," Takumi said, his heart in his throat. "I heard the decree. Do you have to leave?"

Tomomi sniffed and shook her head, then hesitated.

"Not if we can get my sister here within a month." she said quietly. "She has a gift. I don't."

"But that means you can stay!" Takumi exclaimed happily. "You have a Collector in your immediate family."

Tomomi frowned in frustration.

"You don't understand." she argued. "I can stay, but so many people are going to be told to leave. My friends and their families."

"It's safer this way." Takumi assured her. "People like your sister and I will be safe here."

"The people here are ordinary people." she replied. "They've never ousted a Collector or their family for who they are. They've never been a part of these politics, and now they're losing their livelihoods."

Takumi felt a little taken aback. There were so many other places these people could work and live. This was no comparison to a world wide discimination against Collectors.

"I'm glad you can stay." he said eventually. "I know you might not agree, but I hope this means that your family can have a safer place to stay. Why wouldn't I want that?"

"I'd rather the doors were open to everyone, no matter their background." Tomomi said, eyeing the door. "I shouldn't say anymore. I need this job. I have to write home as soon as I get off my shift."

They did not exchange any more words as she cleaned, the silence palpable. Several times, Takumi opened his mouth to speak but nothing seemed to form. Did she not understand that having one safe place could make all the difference to Collectors? Being together as one nation could be the difference between life and death for so many innocent people?

Tomomi left without saying goodbye. The room felt darker and lonelier instead of clean.

"Where will the people go if they can't stay here?" Takumi asked Chikuroshi over their meal.

"The men will find work in the nations across the water if they cannot get it here in Jiritsu." the swordsman said, expertly using his chopsticks to eat his sticky rice and pickled vegetables. "The women may face issues though. Jiritsu embraces the female workforce much more readily than our neighbours. It has done for many generations. Many will not meet the standards for marriage either in the other islands."

"But where will the women go if they can't get work?" Takumi asked.

"Whorehouses." Shirono sniffed, his mouth half full.

"Shirono, please." Setsu muttered, rubbing his brow next to Takumi. "That's such an ugly term. Please call them brothels."

"Who cares?" he retorted, waving his chopsticks nonchalantly. "We'll probably see them there sooner rather than later."