Chapter 3: Rebirth

3 years ago

Charlize Winters

The first thing I see when I open my eyes is light, the second is my mother with a tear in her eye. I know she cries because of me, because she doesn't cry about anything else. I thought I died, but here I am, breathing.

I'm in a hospital bed. There's a pale, handsome, mysterious man to my right with tubes full of blood injected into me. My mom wears a white leather suit with a black badge that says, 'Alpha" in gold letters. I hadn't seen her since that morning. She made breakfast. Eggs with cheddar cheese on top and bacon on the side. Always caring for me. If it wasn't for her, I would probably be dead right now.

What happened? Am I really alive? The last thing I remember was someone putting a sword through my stomach. After that, nothing. Everything just went dark. Then, I woke up here.

"Hey, baby girl. How are you feeling? I thought I was going to lose you." Says my mom, wiping the tears off her eyes.

"I think I was lost. Everything just disappeared for a second and now I'm back, here, in a hospital." I say, trying to avoid the waterworks. It's hard, especially since I've felt it. I've felt nothing. Truly nothing. Even if it was a second, it felt like an eternity. To not feel is the worst feeling.

She hugs me tight, while I'm lying on the bed. She kisses my cheek and strokes it with her hand.

"This is not a hospital, sweetie." She says, stepping away from me slowly. The hug was too good to last. My mother's a complicated woman, but when it counts she's always there for me. She always keeps me safe.

"Then where are we? Who's he?" I say, as I look at the the man.

"We need to talk, Liz." She says. 'Liz', only my mother calls me that.

"We're talking, mom. If it's bad news, just give them to me. I don't wanna dance around something bad. I'm going to get hurt anyways." I say, hoping the bad news were just in my mind and non-existent.

Present Day

"So that's when I met you. That's when she told me everything. That she made her money killing supernatural beings, and not by being an account. That I was saved because of your blood. I was still half asleep when she told me that I had vampire's blood inside me. It was too much for me. I literally passed out again after she told me that. Charlize says, laughing at her past. "She told me that in one go. You didn't know that?" Charlize looks at the pale man with blood on his mouth. They both sit on the floor, against the wall and the window above, drinking whiskey.

"You never told me." The pale man says.

"I told you now... Can I ask you a question, Eleazar?

"You're going to ask it anyway." Eleazar says.

"Yeah I am. Why did you save me? Why would you let yourself be mortal just to save a little girl you hardly even knew?"

"Because of your mom, Liz. She saved me. That night she entered with her unit to hunt every single one of us in that nest. She found me and pointed the gun at me. I was scared for my son's life so I held him, I held him tight and close to me. While protecting him, I protected myself without even knowing it.  Elena saw us, pointed the gun at us, and changed her mind. She turned her back on her duty. She saved my life so when she came knocking, I was ready to save yours." Eleazar says.

"I didn't know that." Charlize says, knowing that she will never get close to the truth about her mother. Her mother was complicated and she figured that out a long time ago.

"Well I told you now..." He says, sarcastically.

They both laugh a little and drink another shot of whiskey. The sun's coming out. It slowly creeps in through the window. Charlize stands up from the floor.

"Well, you better go hide." She says, while getting weaker because of the sunlight.

"If it kills me, it kills me. 100 years is enough for one being, don't you think?"

"Don't be stupid. Go hide." She says.

Eleazar coughs, getting weaker by the minute. There once was a time when he was a force to be reckoned with. He was unstoppable. Now, he has a white hair and has trouble standing up straight.

"Be careful, Liz. I know you're going to be hunting him. Don't let your emotions get in the way."

"They're already in the way. My only option now is to stop him." Charlize says. She turns around and leaves the room.