Chapter Three: Light 'em up

My phone was under my pillow like always,I wasn't expecting any calls, but with my luck it woke both Marco and myself up. I answered, Erwin was yelling on the other line. I got up out of bed and hung up. "Wait-you can't be leaving. Jean I need you here with me" Marco snaps and sits up, holding the blankets close to his body, he frowns. "Damnit Jean when can we have one night together?" I glanced back at him as I got dressed "we have them all the tim-" he cuts me off quickly"With no interruptions!"I sighed softly and sat on the edge of the bed, pulling my boots on, I answer "Marco...look I'm sorry. It's my job though. I have to go, so I can help pay bills, and provide for us.." I heard him scoff "I have a job too Jean. I know they need you but can't you just telp them you have a family and they need you too?" I raised a brow as I stood"Marco. They all know it's just me and you.." Lily mewed softly as she perked her head up "and stupid." Marco rolled his eyes "you better come home hun." I nod"before eight" he adds and my eyes widen"w-wait I've never been home before 10 " he shrugs and lays down "Better make an effort or their won't be any wedding bliss~" I chuckle "fine I'll make an effort..can you pick uo the tuxedos today? Sarah and your mom ordered them for us and I guess they came in. " I stood in the doorway wait for an answer before walking out.

Marco agreed to get our tuxs and I slipped into the kitchen to grab an apple before snagging my coat on the way out. I arrived at the station about ten minutes later, everyone was ready to go and I was given a second brief on what was going on. "Lightning struck in the west side of Westmore forest, the fire is spreadig , even with rain fall there is no sign of it slowing down. " Erwin spoke clearly to me the yelled to the others "We need to move now. Get a brief done of equipment and get out there!" There was no hesitation with the crew, we loaded up two of our trucks and with the flip of a switch our sirens were sounding and we hit the road.

Everyone arrived at the scene. The fire was burning up everything in it's path fast and we had to get on it. I ahoukd have taken Marco's word for it and gotten a new jacket, my skin was burning, and it was painful. That day was hell and it only got worse, we had to stay over night, and my wedding was two day from now. I had explained to Erwin that I needed time off for the wedding and honeymoon, he granted me the time, but also side I had to stay for however long the crew needed me here tonight. Personally I didn't care about that, I stayed, but I had Marco going through my head the entire time. I knew he would probably be crying right now because I'm unable to answer or call him to say I'm okay. Finally the fire cooled down and we could go home..I was exhausted the second I sat in the passenger seat of the truck. I tossed my gloves onto the floor and Reiner chuckled as he glanced over at me "Hang in there Jean.. you'll be home in no time" I huffed "most likely to receive a swift punch to the nose for Marco for being late again" Reiner grinned as he started the engine "just get him some flowers and give him a nice big kiss" he teases as he starts the engine and gets going just as Ymir slams on the horn to get us moving.

Braun had a good idea, get flowers,Once at the station I changed out of the fire pants and jacket. I snatched my phone up and only glanced at the screen to see twelve unread messages. I knew who it was from and forced myself not to look. I got in my truck and went to the store, it was silent in there, then again it was three in the morning. I sent and grabbed a bouquet that I thought Marco would like then headed over to the check out. The old woman smiled as she scaned the item and asked "is this for your special lady?" I cleared my throat and nodded briefly "My fiancé, yes" I chuckled softly and she smiles "what's her name?" I glanced down and thought of what Marco would want me to say. "Actually, His name is Marco."She frowned almost instantly and handed me the flowers before flipping her station light off and walking off without another word.

My ride home all I thought about was how I wanted to punch that old woman in the face for the look she gave me. Is that wrong? I pulled into the driveway and I held the flowers in one hand and my keys in the other as I went to the door. I opened it and the house was cold and quite. I didn't see Marco on the couch so I made my way into the kitchen, I saw a vase for my flowers but I wasn't feeling it, so I put the flowers in a coffee cup. I went to the bedroom but the flowers fell over onto the counter, I had to double take on the flowers but, I decided I'll fix it later.

I changed into nothing more than a white tank and boxers , I was tired, I wanted to sleep and not worry about my clothes. I climbed into bed and instantly Marco latched onto me. "Hey babe-" I stopped as I heard him sniffle"Hey, Marco, I'm here " Marco looked up at me with a frown "You scared me you asshole" the coner of my lips twitched in a faint smile. I leaned down and kissed him briefly "I'm sorry, I really am, the fire got out of control and we needed to stay longer. I'm so sorry Marco" He hiccups softly and turns so I was spooning him, he held my hand tightly, and settled his breathing. "Jean I don't know what to think anymore. I don't know if your really at work..you tasted..like alcohol yesterday, you went drinking even when I said not to. Did you do that tonight?" I sighed and shook my head "no I didn't, I didn't drink tonight, I won't do it again." He huffed "you said that before Jean.." I closed my eyes and tried not to groan "I know.. but I mean it this time. I'll only drink when you give the okay. I promise" Marco smiled and answered with "Okay, you promised so never forget, no drinking without Marco's approval" I chuckled softly "I will." Freckles yawned "Don't wear your uniform to the wedding Jean.. our mothers have been working hard on that and it's tomorrow" I was caught off guard I thought I had another day, guess not... "I know, I know. I'll be there , dressed for the occasion, I swear" He sighed pleased with my answer "I-I still want the wedding bliss so.. you got a freebie" I chuckled and Bott yawned once more "g-go to bed Jean" he murmurs before slipping off into slumber. I laid there with him in my arms for a few minutes, being startled by a crack of thunder, and that made me think..Will I even be at the wedding!?