Chapter 21, Holland & Brabant, Spring to Summer 1350

After a day of cleaning up the carnage of the battle and moving the bodies of the fallen to a more proper place, the nobles and elite burghers were invited to a little celebration in Van Sweeten's former villa. It wasn't exactly a party of noble standards. No artists or performers could be invited, so the entertainment was provided by some local musicians, recommended by the Guild of Saint Thomas. They played a tune more fitting for a countryside festival in the open air than for a nobleman's hall, but after the past events, no one really cared. All they wanted was some strong drinks and laughs to unwind and forget about their struggle.

Nobles and burghers drank, sung and laughed together.

"So you don't stink like dogshit all day?" Gilbert asked half-drunk to the master of the Tanners Guild.

"No, my lord," the man laughed. "I got subordinates to do the work. That is why I became a master of the guild so that I don't have to do that bloody work myself."

"But why dogshit?" Gilbert asked.

The guild master continued to explain Gilbert the finer details about the craft of leather tanning. Wolfert stood on the other side of the hall, talking with the leaders of the Free Shooters Guild.

"I regret some of your members stood on the wrong side, during the battle."

"A revolt is never really clear," a middle-aged man with a thick blond-white beard and brought shoulders replied. "We were lucky to be in the main square when you arrived and hear the offer to fight alongside you. The lads on the walls still believed you to be the enemy."

"Luckily we could reach some of them and tell them to point their weapons to the soldiers," a different man, younger with long dark brown hair, clean-shaven face but almost equally brought shoulders as his colleague's, added.

"Their families will be compensated by the guild, just like those of the fallen who stood with us," the middle-aged man said.

Wolfert raised his glass for a toast. "To the fallen ones!"

"To the fallen ones!" the others followed.

One hour later one of the guards banged his billhook against the floor drawing everyone's attention. Next to the guard stood Albrecht.

"Ladies and gentlemen," the guard announced. "Prince Albrecht of Bavaria!"

Albrecht walked in, dressed in a blue and white striped woolen houpeland and a matching chaperon on his head. The burghers bowed their bodies the nobles just their heads and holding their right hand against their chests. Albrecht walked to the far side of the hall where he turned around and faced the crowd. "People of Holland!" he exclaimed while raising both arms. I and my brother thank you for your support and loyalty. When we restore order to the County your efforts shall not be forgotten!"

"Long live Count William!" someone in the crowd shouted.

"Long live Count William!" the rest followed.

"Now let us celebrate!" Albrecht concluded, clapping his hands together. 

The crowd cheered Albrecht on for several seconds and then went back to their conversations and drinks. Egmont, Heemskerk, Borsel, Aat, Wolfert, and Gilbert all joined Albrecht. Heemskerk offered him a glass of wine.

"Thank you, Gerard" Albrecht said and he took a sip. "I have some news that might interest you."

The others remained quiet in anticipation.

"My brother, William, has been relocated to castle Aat in Hainaut."

"Clever," Heemskerk said. "Bringing William to the place where she has full control."