Chapter 19, Holland, Spring 1350

The same words were on every trader's lips these weeks, travelling from one city to another. Could this be the time that the cities will get more authority? Will merchants, bankers and entrepreneurs be free from noble mingling? Uncertainty hung in the air. Travel, transport and trade continued as usual while the nobility of Holland held their breath. Ever since the fall of Naarden no move had been made by either Margaret or 'the traitors.' Was there still a war going on or were the traitor nobles silently accepting Margaret's superiority, hoping that she would just leave them be?

"The merchants all tell the same thing. That if we besiege their city that they will join our cause," Wolfert said to the company of nobles resting in Lord Hoorn's garden.

"That is good to know, but we must be certain that Margaret will not intercept our forces while doing so?" Heemskerk added.

Their group had expanded slightly over the last few weeks. Some minor nobles who owned their patronages to either Egmont, Heemskerk or Nayroth had joined them in Hoorn. None seemed capable of coming up with a good plan. The sun warmth their skins. If it were not for the dilemma that occupied their minds, this would have been a very enjoyable day. The salted air of the sea nearby calmed their nerves. Seagulls flew over, cawing to each other.

"I wish we could just sail away from here," Gilbert said.

"And leave everything?" Egmont asked.

Gilbert looked away.

Wolfert noticed. He understood how Gilbert felt. They were both still young. All that they possessed was the work of their forebearers. What personal value did those things have? They could sail away, go on an adventure and win possessions of their own. But there still was the responsibility towards the family name. Would they let their families be erased from the history of Holland, that their estates would pass to other houses and that their families will be degraded to landless nobility? Gilbert and he were still young knights, they could make a name for themselves, but what of their elders, the women, the children? All this went through Wolfert's mind, letting out a hopeless sigh. 

Without saying a word Heemskerk left the company into another corridor of the garden. Wolfert too felt a need to leave the room to find some quiet place to think. He went back inside passing Hoorn's great hall. 

"Wolfert!" Albrecht shouted from across the room. 

He looked up. "My lord," he replied, his right hand to his chest, bowing his head. 

"What is the matter, my friend?"

The way Albrecht approached, almost prancing and still full of cheer. It reminded Wolfert of William, he could clearly see the resemblance, but it also made him realize how young Albrecht still was. Even though he saved their lives and did his name carry a lot of authority, Albrecht was still a boy in his teens.  

"The loss of Naarden had a bigger impact on us all than we expected," Wolfert said without hiding his emotions. "We are very uncertain about our position in the war."

Albrecht put his fists on his hips, staring to the ground. "Yes, yes, yes," Albrecht sucked the air through his teeth. "At least we still have our lives."

"That's true, my lord," a faint grin turned on Wolfert's face. 

"And my mother hasn't sent her forces up here, so we got time on our side as well." 

Wolfert nodded in agreement. "Forgive me for asking, my lord, but you are surprisingly confident, aren't you too young to have experienced something similar?"

Albrecht laughed. "It is because my mother has still no idea where I am or that I am even involved in that matter." 

"That is right," Wolfert said. He brightened up a little.