Chapter Fifteen- Fleeing Friendships

Start from the beginning

"I will meet you at dinner, but I have to study, so..."

Peter and James seemed fine with this, probably relieved they didn't have to hang out with him. But true to his word, Sirius wasn't letting him get away with anything. He smiled wider, but his eyes were focusing intently on Remus making him want to run away and hide.

"Come now, mates. We need to show stuck-up Remus here how to have proper fun."

"But if he doesn't want to, Sirius, we shouldn't force him to." James pointed out, usually the voice of reason between the three, at least when it came to Remus. Peter nodded, quick to follow suit with James, and Sirius rolled his eyes.

"He just doesn't know he wants to...yet. Come on, we owe it to him."

"Technically only you owe it to him, Sirius. But since you will most likely lead Remus to an early death, I suppose we better all go along."

Peter nodded again, though he seemed less eager about agreeing with James this time.

"I'd really rather study," Remus protested weakly, though he knew he wasn't getting out of this. Sirius gestured dramatically at Remus, as if the boy had just somehow proved his point perfectly. James laughed and grinned.

"Well, where shall we start?" James asked in a tone that suggested he was humoring Sirius.

"I don't even think he's seen the ground yet, have you, Remus?" Peter asked kindly.

"You really could use some sun mate. Alright, let's go to the Quidditch pitch!" Sirius decided happily.

Remus was forced to go with them, Sirius' firm grip on his shoulders preventing escape. Remus was sure the boy's plan to force him along would have worked, and Remus would no doubt pass out from keeping their fast pace on top of the exhaustion of the soon-to-be full moon. But luckily, Lily and Dorcas ran into them and interceded on his behalf with more confidence and firmness than Remus figured he ever could.

"Potter! Black! What are you doing?" she shouted at them like a cross teacher, changing direction and rushing over to them with a scowl. Dorcas quickly joined her, and the boys of floor seven dorm one were forced to stop just before the entranceway leading outside.

"Well Evans, we are just taking our Lupin for a walk," Sirius teased. Even though Remus knew Sirius would likely say the same thing about the others if the occasion occurred, he felt his face go red with shame. He was acting more like a subservient beast than a boy, which was both fitting and terrible.

"He's not your pet, Black!" she snapped outraged.

"You three have bullied him enough," Dorcas added threateningly.

"We aren't bullying him. We are showing him what fun is. For his own good," James retorted, shooting his competitor Lily a glare, which she shot back. Those two would be shooting spells at each other faster than Remus could say 'cogswallow' if he didn't stop this.

"They were just going to show me around the grounds, as I haven't seen them yet. But I now remembered I promised to study with you, Lily. I'm sorry."

He hoped she wasn't mad at him and that she would take the hint and the out. She glanced away from James, her expression softening and she smiled.

"Oh yes that's right, you did. Looks like you'll have to go see the grounds some other time."

"Not so fast. You guys can just study another time," Sirius pouted, very disappointed at the turn of events.

"Yeah, I don't think so. Come on, Remus." Dorcas beckoned him over. He didn't look at Sirius, not wanting to see the hurt that was sure to be on his face. Instead, he pulled away from the tight grasp and walked over to the girls.