16 ⇻ a damned confession

Start from the beginning

    "Um, with–"

    "Hey, I'm ready to head home." Luke nodded at Dom in acknowledgement, before finally noticing the duffel and frowning. "What's with the duffel?"   

    I smiled, slinging my backpack over my bag. "I'm staying over for the weekend."

    Dom interrupted. "Wait–you're staying with Luke?"

    Wide eyed, Luke snapped his head in Dom's direction. "What?"

    "No!" I said at the same time, sputtering, "I'm staying with his–his family."

    "Wha?"

    I licked my lips, scratching my nape as I explained, "I'm sort of Luke's adopted family member."

    "So adopted sister?"

    I winced. "Kind of, but no–no offense, Luke."

    Luke waved it off.

    "More like really close family friend."

    "Ah." Dom nodded in understanding. Luke held up a finger as he turned back to grab his shoes. "So, your mom's just chill with you staying with the devil and his sons?"

    I furrowed my brows. "Um... I guess so?"

    "You guess?" He tilted his head. "She doesn't know?"

    "I–"

    "Your mom's alive?" Luke's brows furrowed. "You've never mentioned that. I thought she was dead."

    "Wait," Dom interrupted. "You didn't know that, either? Haven't you guys known each other for a while now?"

    Luke and I shook our heads.

    "Really?" Dom's gaze darted from me to Luke, like he was waiting for us to say, "sike!" "Really, really?"

    We nodded.

    "Huh. Then you two must have really close chemistry, huh." Dom paired that statement with a sly smirk our way that had both of us taking a step away from each other, faces blushing and heads shaking vehemently. "Oh, don't hide it. You two are like always together. Practically attached at the hip!"

    "No, we're not. We barely see each other all week," I said defensively, ears burning.   

"Are you sure about that? Both of you are gone for nearly the entire day all day every day, and when you both come home, it's usually at the same time."

"That's not every day. Luke has like a thing he goes to after he drops me off–"

"Ah, but drops you off from where?" Dom grinned.

    "From dinner! See, you two go on daily dates! That's cute."

    "No!" I shouted, feeling my cheeks burning even heavier. "I mean–we do go to dinner, but–but it's a family dinner, with his family and stuff. It's mandatory."

    "Uh-huh. Okay," Dom said, grinning down into his food. "Don't worry I'll keep your little secret."

    "It's–"

    Luke, cheeks still a bit red, cupped my elbow lightly and pulled me back and lightly shaking his head. "He's not gonna believe us, Summer."

    "I believe you just fine."

    I opened my mouth to try again, but glanced at Luke's exasperatedly amused gaze. His lips quirked up and he gave me a one-shouldered shrug. Sighing, I shut my mouth, tugging my duffel off the chair.