6 ⇻ a damned attitude

I couldn't confront Dawn about it until the next morning. She wasn't home when I got back and by the time she did, I was dead asleep.

    "Good morning, roomie," Dawn murmured, releasing a yawn as her arms rose above her in a stretch. She was wearing a black tank top, the hem ripped and ragged, and high school uniform shorts.

    I was seated at my desk, already dressed for class and pulling on my shoes.

    MARK: be there in fifteen

    "Morning," I returned with a smile, turning to the mirror on my desk and pulling my hair up into a ponytail. While I fixed my bangs with a comb, I lightly tried to throw over my shoulder, "Hey, I–um–well last night, I bumped into our new roommate?"

    I meant for it to come off as a statement so I could turn it into a question.

    "Oh, yeah, Luke! What luck we found both of you in time for the next month, right?" She pushed herself off her bed, arms still stretched above her head. I placed my comb down and turned to her, watching as she started doing some stretches. "Isn't he a cutie?"

    "Um, I guess–" I backtracked, quickly correcting myself at the disbelieving look she sent me from her bent position between her legs. "I mean, yeah. He is."

    "He goes to our school! Econ major, I think. Or–was that you?"

    "Um, I think that's me?"

    "Oh, well, I remembered one of you. Sorry I'm not good with the little details. I don't even remember Jason's. Or Mona's. I think they're the same, too? Maybe math majors?"

    "Um, Dawn?"

    "I should really get to remembering." She stood back up, bending her arm over her shoulder and pushing back with her other hand. "Honestly, I don't know how I'm in college." She stopped, whipping her head back around to face me in worry. "Sorry, were you saying something?" Spinning around to fully face me, she dropped her arm. "I'm a little nervous. I don't want you to not like me? I feel like my old roommate hated that about–sorry, shutting up. You were saying?"

    She let out a nervous giggle.

    I exhaled softly, giving her a smile. "It's okay, Dawn. I get it. Don't worry." I bit my lip, then let go and licked it before sort of asking, "I didn't know you were looking for another?"

    "Oh. No, yeah, we were looking for two people. We just didn't want to advertise it like that? Because we didn't want them to be friends in case they'd want to room together. We thought it to be too much hassle to move three people's things around."

    "Ah, oh. Okay."

    As she approached our shared closets, she paused. Looking over her shoulder, she asked, "Is there... Is there a problem between the two of you?" Eyes widening, she followed with a dramatic, "Are you two exes?"

    I raised both my hands quickly, shaking them in front of me as I vigorously shook my head. "No!" Realizing that was a little too quick of a response, I started again, in a more calmer tone. "No. Um, just a few misunderstandings but I'm sure we'll be fine."

    Don't want to move back into the mansion so quickly, I added in my head. Should I start looking for a new place to live?

    "Oh, okay. Good. Phew." She nodded to herself, pulling out some clothes. "Do you need the bathroom?"

    "No, I'm good."

    "Okay, see you later?"

    I nodded. "See you."