twenty-five.

☾☆

Melanie

I was in such shock when I walked onto the rooftop to see the display that he had created for me that I didn't know what to say. When he came up behind me and said those sweet things, I knew that was it for me, I was falling in love with Hunter Woods.

I turned around and got up on my tiptoes to place my arms around his neck and pull him in for a kiss to let him truly know how grateful I was for everything he had done, then I made my way to the table he had set up in the middle of it all. Hunter walked up behind me and slid the chair out allowing me to sit down before he made his way to his seat on the other side. In front of me was a bowl of spaghetti with a huge meatball in the center.

"I know it isn't too exciting but it is about all I know how to cook," Hunter laughed in spite of himself.

"It's perfect," I assured him. "Honestly I am just happy I am eating something homemade over that dining hall crap."

"Yeah, I remember how horrible that stuff used to be, although living in a frat house with a bunch of guys who can't cook isn't much better. It involves a lot of takeout." He chuckled before adding, "I can't wait to go home in a few weeks, I miss my moms cooking."

At the mention of going home, I stiffened up earning me a questioning look from Hunter. "Are you going home for fall break?" He asked.

Up until now I had avoided ever talking about my family, and I didn't know if now was the time. It wasn't that I didn't trust him, it was just that I had never opened up about that part of life to really anyone, not even Alana, but I was finding myself wanting to tell him. Maybe it would be nice to have someone else know, to not have to deal with it all alone. But at the same time, it wasn't his problem and why would he want that burden on his shoulders?

After a back and forth in my head about how much to divulge, I decided to tell the truth. Or at least part of it for now. "No, I am staying on campus for the week."

"You are staying all alone? Won't that be kind of lonely?"

It was a fair question, but a week alone with my books sounded so much better than the alternative. "It won't be too bad. It just seemed like a better option for me, and besides, I have gotten pretty great at being alone."

My response caused him to give me a sad look, almost one of pity, which was unsettling. If that caused him to pity me then I couldn't imagine how he would react if I elaborated. I could tell he wanted to ask questions but wasn't sure if he should pry.

"I have an idea. Dates are all about getting to know the other person right?"

I nodded my head slowly, unsure as to where he was going with this.

"Let's play the question game then."

I immediately began to laugh at the ridiculous suggestion. "You mean that game that we all used to play in middle school? Aren't we a little old for that?"

He laughed along with me, seeming to understand just how silly the recommendation was. "Yes, that one exactly. And yeah maybe it is immature, but if I am being honest I want to know everything there is about you. I have a million questions running through my head about the mystery that is sitting in front of me, but I figured that if I just started firing away it could make me seem a little eager which could seriously hurt my cool guy reputation so I figured we could turn it into a game and let you get in a few questions too."

I smiled at the complete ridiculousness of his explanation and found myself blushing at how Hunter could turn just about anything into something romantic and sweet. "Well we can't have you tarnish that popular reputation now can we Mr. Quarterback," I say playing along. Saying it out loud makes me start to wonder how many people get to see this dorky playful side of him. I have a feeling it isn't many.

"I'm glad you understand," he says back with a wink. "We can even start out with an easy one. What do you love about reading?"

If I was being honest no one had ever cared enough to ask me that, but the answer was easy. "Well I could honestly go on forever about it, but I guess the simple answer is that it can take you anywhere in the world. Through reading books, you can transport yourself to worlds that are so different than your own and experience life through the shoes of almost anyone. It helps me escape from the reality around me and forget about any problems I am having."

I start to get embarrassed as I realize I am rambling on and he probably doesn't care, but he surprises me by saying, "I love hearing you talk about things that you are passionate about, you're face lights up and it makes me want to smile too."

I look down at my now half-eaten plate of spaghetti as I feel my cheeks start to heat up. How is it that he can make me blush so easily?

"Okay, my turn. Do you have any siblings?"

"I have a younger sister, Miranda, she is a junior in high school this year. We have always been really close even though we are a few years apart in age. She used to come to every one of my games when I was at home, rain or shine she was always there in the stands yelling louder than anyone else. Our parents have always been pretty hard on us to be perfect, me to follow in my dad's footsteps as a pro football player and Mir to follow in mom's as a professional ballerina, but I think that them always getting down on us helped bring us closer together. Honestly, I don't know how I would have survived at home without her."

Hearing him talk with such affection for his younger sister warms my heart and I try to let him know that, "It is really sweet the way you talk about her, she is lucky to have you in her life."

"I don't know about all that but thank you." This time I cause him to blush slightly as he brushes off my compliment. "Now it is my turn again. Why don't you want to go home to see your family?"