eighteen.

☾☆

Hunter.

I walked out of the library with Mel's hand still in mine. When we made it outside it was dark and the air was brisk causing her to pull my sweatshirt tighter around herself. The wind picked up slightly causing her hair to blow back and her cheeks to be tainted pink. I couldn't stop staring at her and wanted so badly to tell her how beautiful she looked, but I knew that I needed to respect her wish to be friends, at least for now, so instead I looked forward and made my way across campus to my desired location.

"Will you tell me where we are going now?" She questioned looking up at me with her big brown eyes. The looked on her face almost made me crack but I quickly shook my head and smiled back. I had randomly decided on this impromptu adventure as we were sitting in the library, and as we approached our destination I grew more and more concerned she wouldn't like it.

After about ten minutes we arrived at the gates of the massive football stadium at the edge of campus. I turned to look at Mel and said, "I thought I could show a little bit of my world since I hid it in the beginning." She looked up at me and smile back.

The lights were on but the gates were locked signaling everyone had left for the day. I pulled out my lanyard and found the master key to the stadium. I was given it last year when I was moved up to be first-string quarterback and was told to only use it for professional purposes. I slid the key into the lock and pushed the gate open slightly so we both could slide in.

"I have actually never been in here before," She revealed. "It is much bigger than I expected."

I nodded my head, "Yeah it is huge. You should see it on game day when it is packed with screaming fans." I fondly recalled all of the games I have played here over the past two and a half years. "There is no feeling quite like being on the field during a game."

"Don't you get nervous playing in front of so many people? I don't think I could ever handle attention or pressure like that."

"Well, if I am being honest, I do get a little nervous before each game. I just don't want to let anyone down I guess." I confess. I had never told anyone that before. I am the captain and leader and as such, I always portray this aura of confidence, but the nerves are always there. "The feeling when you score a touchdown and the crowd all stands and goes wild makes it all worth it though." She nods her head in understanding as we make our way to the field. I had only known her a short time but it felt as though I could tell her anything.

When we step on the field Mel stops and looks around taking it all in. As she does so I see a bag of footballs left out from practice this morning. I immediately get an idea and run to grab one.

"Want to learn how to throw?" I ask as I jog back toward her. She laughs and shakes her head slightly before replying, "Hunter, sports and I are not friends at all. More like mortal enemies. I think I will leave the jock stuff to you."

I laugh, "I think you can handle a little game of catch." I raise my eyebrow as I add, "Plus I am a very good teacher."

She seems to think about it for a second. I can practically see her getting inside her head, the anxiety coming out, but almost as quickly as it came she pushes it away and reluctantly agrees to try.

I walk back a few feet, not wanting to go too far. "Are you ready?" I ask before lightly tossing the football in a spiral. It flies through the air for a few moments before landing perfectly in Mel's hands. She smiles and yells back at me, "Oh my god, I actually caught it!" Her excitement is cute and makes me chuckle to myself.

I then instruct her to toss it back to me. She pulls her arm back and makes an effort to throw it back to me, but after it awkwardly moves in the air, it lands about three feet away from me. She immediately looks embarrassed at her failed attempt, so I quickly grab the ball and make my way back to her.

"Don't worry, everyone sucks their first time," I reassure her, seeing the embarrassed red flush that had taken over her cheeks. "Here I will show you." I place the ball back into her right hand as I move behind her. I am painfully aware of just how close we are, but I shake it off and focus on helping her throw.

"Okay so you are going to move your arm back like this," I instruct as I pull her arm back at the right angle. I then move my hands to her waist and help her move her body into the correct form. "And your body should be angled like this," I whisper into her ear, my hands still lingering on her waist. Her breath hitches at my close proximity, signaling to me that I affect her just as much as she affects me. The thought is comforting.

"Now just move your arm back slightly and throw it forward," I say, letting go and stepping back slightly allowing her room. She does exactly as I say and throws the ball forward, sending it into a spiral flying down the field about 20 feet before falling to the ground.

Mel promptly turns around and jumps up and down, "I did it! I did it!" I lean down and pull her into my arms, picking her up and spinning her around in the process. After setting her back down, I wait a moment before pulling away, leaving my face hover over hers for just a few seconds.

"Wow get any better and I am going to be out of a job," I say as I pull away. She shakes her head in disbelief and smiles lightly.

I jogged to the ball and prepared to toss it back to her. Once again she caught and threw it back just as effortlessly as before. "Look at that, you are a natural." I laughed.

We continued to toss the ball back and forth as we talked and got to know each other. The conversations flowed easily and before we knew it almost an hour had passed. Mel was becoming visibly tired, so I made my way back to where she was standing in the middle of the field.

"Let's just sit for a little," I suggest as I sat down. She followed and sat down next to me.

We sat in silence for a moment. I felt drawn to her, as I always do when I am anywhere near her, and had a sudden urge to get closer. I shifted slightly so my thigh was just barely touching hers. Even though the layers of clothes, I could feel the heat beneath our touch and was affected by it.

Eventually, Mel leaned back and laid down and I did the same. As we adjusted ourselves, she moved closer grazing her hand with mine, and as I laid there under the stars with Mel's hand in mine, I thought to myself that I would be content like this forever.