Chapter Two

We're at Hogwarts far too soon. I was left in peace to read my book after the Marauders left, and everything was pleasant again. But now I have to leave the peace of my compartment and go to the castle full of bullies. I sigh as I pick up my trunk. I used to have a cat, but someone stole him. He was a typical black cat, and lots of people have them, so I don't know who it was. I never said anything. I wish I did now, I miss him. It was nice to have a friend for a while.
As I make my way to the carriages, someone pushes me and I fall. I look up, and it's just some fourth year. I know his face, but I don't know his name. "Watch it, Noble!" He says, laughing with his friends. I get up, but my robes are covered in mud now. Oh great, another thing to be made fun of for. I know there's a spell to get rid of it, but I don't remember what it is. Great.
I wait for an empty carriage, like always. I'm usually the last one to get to the castle, because I usually get the last carriage. The only empty one. That way no one will say anything to me, and I'll have a few more minutes of peace before I go to my own personal hell.
Sometimes I wish I just stayed at the orphanage instead of going to Hogwarts. Stayed and lived my life as a Muggle. I don't know which one's worse: Hogwarts or the orphanage. At Hogwarts I am bullied. At the orphanage I'm just one of the many sad, poor children without any parents. I don't have any friends there either, even though I've lived there since I was seven. It's hard to believe that I've lived there for nine years without making a friend, but it's true. I usually just sit in my small room and read or do homework. Or take unnecessary notes. It's a place of sadness and boredom. There's never anything to do there. Most kids leave every day and go to the park across the street, but I'm one of the few who stay behind. I think there's only three of us. One girl is in all advanced classes in school, so she always has a lot of homework to do during the summer. She only comes out of her room for meals. The other guy works the night shift at a restaurant down the street, so he sleeps during the day. Everyone says that he's earning money to get an apartment and move out. I don't blame him.
Finally the last carriage comes, and I get inside. We're about to leave when the door opens. A girl steps in. She has bright red hair like me, but she has vivid green eyes instead of my stormy gray ones. She's covered in mud too. She's breathing heavily, like she ran here. "Hi," she says, wiping her muddy hand on her robes, "I'm Lily Evans."