Chapter 1 ~ Where's Waldo

Începe de la început

Grunting, I pulled myself over the edge of the roof, brushing grit from my skin.

The city of Edinburgh sprawled out before me, loud and glowing orange in the dark. The sun was beginning to rise, lighting the horizon in pale blue. Kincaid stepped up behind me, his agitation palpable as he caught sight of the sun. The scent I'd caught disappeared and my shoulders slumped. He didn't rush me, letting me stand glaring at the sun until I knew we had to turn for home.

"There's always tomorrow night," he said, awkwardly patting my shoulder.

"I have to play Queen tomorrow night," I muttered, turning my back to the lightening sky and letting Kincaid lead the way home. "The stupid ball is in two days and Zena wants to take tomorrow to give me one last lesson."

Kincaid grunted. He didn't like how many strangers would be in the very heart of our home, but he at least understood duty so kept quiet. I voiced my dislike of it for all to hear, and I knew others were thinking it too but nobody else was brave enough to talk against their Kings plans.

Turning in the direction of home, I raised an eyebrow at the way Kincaid was swinging his arms. He gave me a competitive grin over his shoulder. "Do you think you can keep up?"

I laughed, bouncing on the balls of my feet, looking forward to burning off the last of my nervous energy and nodded. He bolted forward a second before I did, racing towards the edge of the rooftop. We jumped as one, wind rushing past as we sprang through the air. My boots hit the next roof and I never missed a step, my grin growing. We raced each other across the top of the city, a blur of shadow to anyone who saw us.

Kincaid was faster than I thought he'd be, giving me a good run for my money but I was determined to win. Eventually the rooftops were spread too wide apart as we got closer to the mansion and I stepped off the next roof, whistling towards the ground. It was exhilarating, the way my body fell freely until I hit the ground with a thud.

Kincaid landed next to me a moment later.

Slowly I rose, loving the way my muscles burned with exertion. Walking felt almost painfully slow now but I slowed further when the mansion came into view. Zena had made sure to pick a place a little out of the way from the bustling capital city, giving us privacy. Ivy climbed the red brick walls and my boots crunched along the pebbled drive. It was definitely fit for royalty. 

Gideon stood guard outside, smiling when he saw me.

"He's in a bad mood," he called out, pushing the door open for us.

I sighed. I knew he would be. Atanas hated that I went out every night, shirking my duties as Queen, putting myself in danger. The stress losing Airell and trying to make good with the neighbouring Wulver pack and coven of witches was taking its toll. He'd done his best to assure them no harm would come to any of them, not under his rule, but Airell had caused a lot of damage to our ties with the rest of the supernatural community. It would take time to build trust again.

"When is he in a good mood?" I asked Gideon, slipping past him and inside.

Gideon's laughter followed me in and I avoided eye contact with the vampires that lingered around the foyer. A few mumbled greetings, bowing their heads in respect that I wasn't used to yet. It made me uncomfortable, but I did my best not to let them know that. I couldn't let them sniff out any weakness in me. 

"Good luck," Kincaid chuckled, heading off towards the group of vampires that smiled when he approached them. 

Jealousy rose. Kincaid had what Atanas and Padraig had, that ability to gain respect and friends so easily, None of the vampires smiled at me like that, I wasn't invited to the clubs, or for drinks at the bar the mansion boasted of having in not only the main hall, but in one of the rooms beside the stairs as well. I was given a wide berth, and I knew that my attitude was partially to blame. I wasn't winning any 'most friendly and approachable' awards. Pushing my green monster away, I jogged up the stairs until I reached the top floor where Atanas and I had taken residence. My hand hesitated on the handle and I could hear Atanas moving about inside. He'd know I was here, he would sense my presence, but he didn't come to open the door. The bond between us that bound us as mates had grown stronger, singing now that we were so close.