Pacing

No matter what genre you're writing, pacing matters. How can we make it work for us?

One of the most effective things you can do to improve at pacing is to pick up your favorite book. Look at what moments are drawn out, what periods of time are compiled into brief anecdotes. Find out what makes the storytelling work for you.

In every story or book, there are high points, low points, and transitions. I like to think of pacing like a magnifying glass. You want to zoom in on all the big moments ("big" meaning significant, crucial, or impactful in some way). You can zoom out during transitory scenes.
This is where showing and telling play a role in your pacing. The more you show, the more you slow down a scene. You break down each moment, letting the reader breathe with the MC, seeing what they see and experiencing what they feel.

You don't have to show everything, especially when your character is in transition.
For example: Over the next six years, she learned to bake with one eye closed and her mind open.
You've zoomed over six years, but you highlighted the only thing(s) the reader needs to know now.

Like all elements of writing, pacing requires balance and thought.This means that, after particularly zoomed-in scenes, it's probably time for a break.Suppose your MC just fought a battle. Readers need some time to process and recover (just like your characters do).

Without a balance of fast and slow scenes, your book will either drag or move so quickly that it becomes too confusing or too difficult to become invested in. Build in time for readers to learn about the characters, the world in your story, and why they should care what's next.

Tense, angry scenes are not the only ones you can slow down.Some moments make you want to sit and relax in them a little longer. For example, after everything Harry Potter goes through, his sweet, funny interactions with Ginny become even more valuable.

So, how do you control pacing? By using these elements carefully:
• details
• sentence structures
• character actions
• showing vs. telling
• word count
• chapter breaks

These slow the pace: more details, longer sentences, fewer actions, more showing, and longer scenes/chapters. The more you expand on certain moments and eras in a character's life, the more you've zoomed in and eased the pace.

Shorter sentences can increase tension, moving your scene forward. Even in a zoomed-in scene, you can move quickly (such as in a fight scene) while expanding details to place the reader in that moment.
Paragraph breaks + shorter sentences are the ultimate tension-builders. Use this combination carefully and sparingly.

P.S.: If you found this helpful, you can now add my upcoming book I Can't Believe I Wrote That: A Guide to Self-Editing on Goodreads now!