Sleepy Victories

Scorpius

The handsome blonde sat in History of Magic - the last lesson on a chilly Friday afternoon. He gazed longingly at the immaculate Quidditch Pitch down below. It was Gryffindors first match of the season tomorrow morning - against Hufflepuff. Ravenclaw had smashed Slytherin a few weeks ago.

Then he got punched in the arm.

“Ow!” he complained, glaring at the perpetrator which was Leon.

“Professor Binns asked you a question about the Wizarding War” Leon prompted, eyes wide with hinting. His brown eyes flickered to the front where the whole class and Professor Binns were waiting expectantly. Rose and Erin were snorting at him from behind their books.

“Uh sorry, Professor, could you repeat that?” he asked sheepishly, putting on an apologetic grin. A couple of girls sighed which made Rose clench her fists, he noticed with satisfaction.

Professor Binns had the poker face look down pat. “Which wizard was known as Harry Potter’s enemy at Hogwarts?”

It was Scorpius’ turn to clench his fists. That was a touchy subject, but of course Professor Binns didn’t know that.

“Draco Malfoy” he answered with stiff teeth.

“Correct” Binns then continued on his usual drawl. For the rest of the lesson he sat hunched over on his desk. There were a couple of sympathetic looks from others around him, but even they didn’t know the full story. The turmoil of a life he was living. When the bell rung he flung his bag over his shoulder and left for his favourite spot in the castle.

As a matter of fact it was originally Rose’s favourite spot, after all she did have a passion for the subject, but he had found her there one early morning in fourth year and now they both shared it. As he climbed the spiral staircase he chuckled at the memory of a night spent over at this place with Albus, Dominique and Rose herself.

He came out on the top of the Astronomy Tower and admired the view over the castle. Little tiny dots of people moved about in courtyards below. Gargoyles were half lit by the sun, giving them a sinister yet cheerful appearance. In the distance mountain peaks towered.

Scorpius lay down on the ground, not bothered by its hardness or cold. His mind wandered to all sorts of things. Time passed by and as the sun said its goodbyes for the night he fell into sleep.

                                           ___

A sharp rap over the head efficiently woke Scorpius up. He found the Gryffindor Quidditch team gathered around him, murderous looks on their faces.

“Get up you twat!” Aria, a golden haired girl with an upturned nose held a book in her hand which she had whacked him with. “It’s ten minutes to game time! Get your skinny ass up and MOVING!” She and Rose strode off to the pitch.

The four boys were left huddling around him. Hugo looked annoyed, Leon was trying not to laugh and Lorcan and Mason were nearly busting their pants with nerves. After all, it was their first game.

Scorpius swore at his absentmindedness. Leo helped him up and the five ran to the pitch together. Once there they were out of breath, but only had time to rush into the changing room, get on robes and grab broomsticks and head onto the pitch as a team.

The Gryffindors cheered as they came out while the Hufflepuffs booed. Ravenclaw and Slytherin were silent, but soon enough they would be joining the cheering or jeering as the game commenced.

Scorpius brung his team in for a huddle. “Right guys, we have trained really well for this moment. Mason, Rolf, Rose, you’ll do brilliantly just don’t fret. Hugo, zoom around like you have no cares. Aria, kick some butt. Leon, let’s go whack some balls.”

His team looked rearing to go as they mounted their broomsticks, facing the Hufflepuffs. Madam Hooch blew the whistle and they kicked off.

Scorpius kept an eye on all his teammates while whacking bludgers at Hufflepuffs. He zoomed up and down and around on the alert.

Rose played really well with Aria and Mason, weaving about effortlessly while chucking the quaffle back and forth. Lorcan was a nippy keeper and stopped lots of goals.

As the game progressed he got more and more tense, like a spring waiting to be released.

Then he got his opportunity. Hugo and the Hufflepuff seeker were chasing for the Snitch, but a beater on the opposition had sent a bludger Hugos way. Scorpius cut the bludger off and sent it straight for the seeker. The girl fell, clutching her arm which he had hit.

Then Hugo got the snitch.

Scorpius pumped his fist in the air with glee. He flew low over the crowd, highfiving Albus and Mique. Then he joined his team on the ground in a big huddle. He ruffled Hugo’s hair, beaming with pride.

“We did it!” Leon yelled, thumping him on the back. Good work captain!”

“Yeah great work captain” Aria gave him a sly smile, kissing his cheek. His face felt like it was on fire, and he felt a pair of piercing eyes in his back.

“Yeah Aria you were good as always” he complimented, feeling rather uncomfortable.

“So” she batted her eyelashes and flicked her wavy hair. “What about going to the Christmas Ball with me?”

Scorpius fiddled with his beaters gloves. “Uh I’d love too but I’m afraid I’m already going with someone.”

“Who?” she asked suspiciously, smile turning into a pout.

“Rose Weasley.”