Everyday is like the last-Kabir

Sunday  July 20th

Everyday is like the last. Waking up in a haze to shower, so no one can smell his wretched hangover before he heads off to work. There he does what needs to be done and nothing more so he can come home and drink himself to sleep, again. The only day that is slightly different is Sunday, when he can drink in peace until Monday comes around. Shanthi, the housekeeper,  comes around for her daily visit and does some cooking and cleaning and if she manages not to piss me off I have a silent day. She is the only housekeeper who he managed to be employed for so long, maybe because her brother is also a drunkard she knows how to deal with his kind. 

She knows that if she finds him passed out on the floor while cleaning, rather than check for a pulse she should clean around me, because waking him up wouldn't be good for either of us. She knows what he drinks on good days and what he drink on bad days, and she knows not to throw out any bottles because his madness has a method that only he controlled. She knew a lot about him but she didn't know why he drink and she never will. 

What reason could he have in her mind? She must think it a waste that a young handsome surgeon would waste his life with drink. But what does she know. She knows she doesn't need to know anything. Because prying would lead to anger, which could lead to his lashing out and her losing a job. So we maintain a system of silence where no one speaks unless spoken too.

Most Sundays are quiet like that despite Shanthi's presence but today is different. 

He woke up with blinding headache, the afternoon sun blinding me and the deafening sound of laughter in hallway. He knew it wasn't Shanthi because the smell of her cleaning supplies was made him want to vomit. He got up and groggily made his way to the bathroom, mentally noticing that as suspected, Shanthi was in the den cleaning. 

Splashing water on his face, he tried numbing his overwrought sense, but the sound of female laughter continued to push him to his breaking point. 

This floor was quiet, which served me well because it's only occupants were himself and the owner of the flat across, Mr.Rajan. The elderly man had a reputation for being a lonely senile man while he had the reputation for being a crazy and angry man who on occasion caused a drunken scene. If the ladies association of the building knew how bad his drinking and drug habits really were, they would have petitioned to have him thrown out the building for potential nuisance and danger to their families. But for the time being his and Mr.Rajans reputations were enough to keep everyone away from this floor, just as he liked. Even the children in the building were afraid to come near them, he'd heard that they spread rumours that he liked to eat children or throw them to a plummeting death from his terrace. 

Did Mr.Rajan die? Is that why there was so much noise coming from the hallway? If he did, it wouldn't account for the shrill laughter. Gripping the sink with both hands he tried to calm myself down but to no avail. 

"SHANTHI" he screamed and stomped towards her in the den. She met him halfway in the hallway, a duster in her hands and her head down refusing to look him in the eyes. His hands came up to his head tired by the slight exertion "What is that noise"!

Realizing she wasn't in any trouble she stood a little straighter but her eyes still not meeting mine she said"It is coming from Mr.Rajan's flat sir".

"Well is the man dead!! What is all that noise? And on a Sunday!!".

"No he is not dead but I think the Buildings Ladies Association is there right now"

Not able to take the pounding in my head he glared at the top of her head mentally prodding her to continue. 

"His granddaughter" she continued "moved in with him yesterday and they must be welcoming her to the building. She is a nice girl, around 27 years old and works as some sort of writer, she helped me carry in my cleaning supplies today...."

They both froze for a moment as she realized that she had said far too much. 

"YOU LET HER INTO THE FLAT" I screamed as she scurried away from him fearing what would come next. He prowled behind her one head still soothing my aching headache the other reaching for a glass bottle on the floor. He picked up and threw it towards the wall and heard the small yelp  Shanthi let out as she quickly grabbed her bag and keys. 

"HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I TOLD YOU THAT THIS IS A PRIVATE RESIDENCE" he screamed while she scurried to put her shoes on. "NO ONE IS ALLOWED IN HERE, DO YOU UNDERSTAND"!

"yessir! I put food in the fridge and will clean the rest tomorrow" she said rushing out the door not willing to be around for whatever would be thrown next. He grabbed another bottle from a nearby table and raised it to throw it when he realized it was still full. So instead he opened the bottle and brought the drink to his lips. 

It was just him and the silence. The sound of glass smashing must have scared the ladies association and no doubt they were in Mr.Rajans flat this moment warning his poor granddaughter about him and how vile he was. 

Smirking to himself he took another gulp. It was best that way, no need any future disturbances not from the ladies association and not from anyone's granddaughter.