Prologue-Priyanka

Saturday July 19th 2019

The hardest thing about making life altering decisions is taking the first step. Like jogging, the first steps are always the hardest but once you settle in to a stride it's smooth sailing. That's what she reminds herself as she looks up at the tall pristinely white apartment complex that the movers moved her belongings into. 

"Didi (sister)!" One of the movers calls out to her, "we only have 3 more boxes to carry up, you can come up and check everything".

But my feet stay planted firmly on the ground. I haven't been able to take one step out of the parking lot. Doing so, would mean there is no going back from the new path I have veered toward. 

The last couple months have been hard to say the least but Ma and Pa are convinced that moving in with Daada (my grandfather) will do me good and help me move forward with my life. He's been sick for the past few years  and really shouldn't be living on his own but he's as stubborn as he has always been-a familial trait- and refuses to leave the home he raised his children in. Which, is why his doctor informing us that he needed constant supervision at home could not have come at a better time. With my need to leave Delhi and start afresh, moving to Mumbai was the perfect solution. 

Taking a deep breath,  Priyanka pushed herself off her car and walked determinedly towards the doors of the building. She smiled at the children running around on the playground set and nodded to their parents sitting on benches, watching her more earnestly than her children. In buildings like this one the rumour mill is always active. They must be wondering how someone new could be moving in to the building when they hadn't even thought a flat was for rent or sale!By tomorrow morning everyone would know that the new tenant was actually the granddaughter of Mr.Rajan from 3C and that she had moved in to take care of him. By the evening several of the buildings aunties would have stopped by to get some information about her in the guise of neighbourly welcomings and dropping off food. 

She smiled to herself as she reached for the door. Building politics she could handle, she'd survived much worse after all and this would be the same game on a different field. All she hoped was that this new stage of her life would be the escape she needed, give her the peace she craved and that no one in this colony would find out why she really needed to leave Delhi.