Probably the latter.

"There's always that one person that eats all the Turkey." Dr. Martinez said. Addison shifted as she was inspected upon. She knew this was similar to the behavior she had shown when the two first met. Being quiet, avoiding eye contact, and getting lost in her thoughts. Whenever she had nightmares, she was uptight, shaky. She had slowly overcome those, talking bit by bit, but those habits were coming back, reverting.

She couldn't let them win.

"Dad—" Addison's breath caught in her throat. "Dad had this apron that he wore all the time, and Mom threatened to burn it whenever she saw it."

Their first family event without her father and the hideous apron. What were they supposed to do with it? Throw it in the trash? Force someone else to wear it? Addison's stomach flipped at the thought.

Dr. Martinez smiled, almost beamed. Was she relieved? "What did you think about it?"

"I mean, it was ugly." Addison had snickered whenever she had seen it. "But at the same time, only Dad could rock that."

"I'm sure he did."

"Ask me," Addison blurted. Her fingers wrapped around the arm's chair. "Ask me something."

The corners of Dr. Martinez's eyes crinkled as she sent Addison another reassuring look. "We're working on two sets of goals—one so you can engage and talk openly about your accident, and another so you can once again ride in a vehicle. I understand that it's hard to talk about what happened. If you want, though, we can talk about the scene. Or maybe your father's car?"

Unexpected."What do you want to know?"

"How about we start with the color?" Dr. Martinez suggested. "Or the type of car?"

Bloody and beaten. "It's... red." Addison clenched her hands into fists and her chest grew tight. What else? Tires. In an instant, her mind recalled when her leg had brushed the car, the hitch of her breathing as soon as she had made contact with the rubber. Breathe. She needed to breathe. Why was it so hot? Three months, fourteen days, ten hours, and twenty-six minutes.

Like she was living the moment, when she inhaled, the smell of rubber wafted into the air. Her mind briefly flashed a scene: the screeching of tires against the road as the cars had crashed into one another. She let out a gasp and clutched her head between her hands.

"Is there anything else you'd like to add?" Dr. Martinez noted. Even if Addison's head was down, she knew Dr. Martinez's eyebrows were knit in concern.

"There was this one moment where we added eyelashes to the car to surprise Mom," Addison said. "She hated it because she thought the car as a guy." She cleared her throat. "Jenna confronted me a few days ago, actually. First, she sent me a friend request, but then she came to see me face-to-face to apologize."

"Jenna apologized to you? How did you feel?" Dr. Martinez's moved a bit—was she as shocked as Addison had been?

"I was... I don't know." Addison's shoulders sagged. "She asked me to consider us being friends again, but I wasn't listening." She fiddled with her fingers. "Jenna actually was in a similar situation I was in—something happened, and her video went, well... viral. I guess since she went through what I did, she tried to apologize, but she tried to do it in dad's office."

"Your father's office?"

Addison nodded. "I freaked out and then I kicked her out. Victoria was there too, and she brought Daniel and this guy named Jay."

"Daniel was there? Did you know that Daniel was friends with Jenna?"

"Kind of?" Addison groaned and continued in a quiet voice. "It's all a mess right now."