Chapter 6: The Truth Be Told

"Harry, what do you mean we're trapped?" Draco was looking at me with a frightened face. "The door won't open.. so, basically we're locked inside." Draco jumped to his feet and tried to open the door, but like it did for me, it wouldn't budge. 

"Well, did you try using a spell? We're not wizards for nothing." Malfoy casted the 'Alohmora' spell, but still the door wouldn't open. "This is just perfect," Draco said with a hint of sarcasm. He sat back down and I just sat down with him. "Look, I'm sure Snape or Dumbledore will realize we're missing and they'll come find us. Dumbledore always has an eye out for me these days anyway." Draco just nodded and we fell silent for a while. 

"Potter," Draco began to speak. "How about you tell me about yourself? We've known each other for years, but we never talked like friends." It still gave me a shock that Malfoy wanted to be friends with me. "Alright, sure," I replied back to him. He smiled and looked like he was waiting for me to speak so I did.

"What do you want to know? I mean, you know about my parents.." I paused, I still didn't like to think about them being gone. "What was it like?" He asked me. "Living with the Dursley's.. if that was their name." He remembered the Dursley's? After all this time? But I just ignored it and started telling him. 

"It was quite awful, and pretty much still is. They're not the most appealing type of people, or muggles I guess. I had to live in a cupboard under the stairs, until recently I got my cousin Dudley's second bedroom. So, that's probably why I don't find being locked in here that bad." Draco smiled at me and laughed. I never realized his laugh before.. or his smile. He had a smile like no other. But why was I thinking about that?

"There actually would be times where Uncle Vernon would try and hurt me.. but I'm a wizard, so he couldn't really do that." Draco stopped smiling and had a blank face. "They tried to hurt you?" He asked me. "Oh, well.. yeah." I wasn't sure what to say. We just looked into each other's eyes for a few minutes until I started to talk again.

"But, you know.. then Hagrid came to me and brought me to Hogwarts, and I finally felt like I was home. I had Ron and Hermione, and they became my family, along with the other Weasleys." Draco smiled again and he put his hand on mine. "I'm really sorry, Potter.. I never knew how bad you actually had it. And I never really thought about your parents.. I could never imagine losing mine, even if it would be better than living with them at all." I looked at his hand that was holding mine and I felt frozen.

Draco's POV: I was holding Harry Potter's hand, we were talking about our lives, and I didn't want it to stop. What was I feeling? I always acted like I hated him, but really.. I don't think I ever truly did. 

Harry's POV: Why was he holding my hand.. and why did I not try and let it go? "You don't have it good at home either, do you?" I asked him. He shook his head and frowned. "Like I said, they just want power.. and you know them. My father's a death eater, and to him it's time for me to become one too." "Become a death eater? Draco.. from what I know you couldn't be a death eater. You're a good person, unlike your family or Voldemort." 

"It's not exactly my choice, Harry. If I don't do what I'm told, my life could be at risk... or even.." He didn't finish what he was saying. I kept holding his hand and said, "Hey, we're friends now. I've got your back. I've gone against Voldemort before, and trust me there will be many more times I'll do it again." Draco laughed a little and smiled at me again. He really was a good person. He was just raised in a bad place, like me. I guess Remus was right after all, we're not as different as I thought.