Chapter 2: Hogwarts

Hermione, Ron, and I grabbed our luggage, along with Hedwig, and we made our way off of the train. We saw Hagrid talking with the first years and waved, then we walked with everyone else to the carriages. Luna Lovegood as always was reading 'The Quibbler' upside down, and we joined her before taking off towards the castle.

"Hello, everybody," she said in her calm soft voice. "Are you excited to see who you're matched up with?" I didn't know what to say. I wasn't sure how I even felt about the new rules. I only replied with, "Oh, um.. yeah, sure." She smiled and continued reading her upside down paper. 

We were arriving at the castle in no time, and everyone was happily talking with each other. Walking in, Professor McGonagall greeted us and brought us into the Great Hall where the first years would be sorted into their houses. Everyone sat down at their house tables and waited for the first years, along with Hagrid to arrive.

In a few minutes, all of them came walking in. They looked so small, I wondered whether I was really that little my first year at Hogwarts. "Good evening, everyone," called Professor Dumbledore, as all of the first years walked up to the front. "Before the sorting begins, I am aware that all of you know about the changes made for the new year. We are doing this because there has been one too many problems with the students getting along." He glanced at me and smiled. I was hoping that meant something good. 

"Ravenclaw will be paired with Hufflepuff." He took a short pause. "And Gryffindor will be paired with Slytherin." I knew it was coming, but I still winced at the sound. "The first years are going to be sorted, and then I will be telling you who you are paired up with." He motioned to Professor McGonagall to begin the sorting ceremony. 

"When I call your name, you will come up and sit on the stool and I will put the sorting hat on your head." She began reading names, and finally every first year was sorted into a house. Professor Dumbledore spoke again. "Now," he said. "First we will start with Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff." He began reading names and everyone started looking around the room for their partners.

"For Gryffindor and Slytherin.." He took another short pause. "Hermione Granger will be with Pansy Parkinson." Hermione didn't look too thrilled, but she shrugged it off. Soon Ron's name was called and he was paired up with Crabbe. He didn't look too thrilled either. But then I heard Dumbledore call my name. 

"Harry Potter, and.. Draco Malfoy." I quickly turned my head towards Dumbledore, then to Malfoy. Draco was staring at me with a look of disgust. This would really be the year of my life. Dumbledore finished giving out names and we were sent to find our partners. I walked over to Draco and we just started at each other until he finally spoke. 

"I can't believe this. Why you, Potter? Dumbledore doesn't know what he's doing!" "You think I'm happy about this? I have to see you every second of every day!" I yelled back. I didn't know why Dumbledore paired us up, but knowing him he was trying to do something.

Everyone started to leave the Great Hall so Draco and I followed them out. We walked a far distance away from each other to the Slytherin common room, and were sent to a room with two beds. Great, I said in my head. A room with no one other than Draco Malfoy. For the whole year I had to live with him.